Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

La Luna Cigar King Selection Lancero

I first stumbled across the La Luna brand years ago, when my cigar passion was just beginning to blossom. The Maduro Fuerte line was an early favorite, and I became something of a "La Lunatic," so naturally I was kind of saddened when the brand seemed to fall off the face of the planet.

A few months ago, I was intrigued to learn that Cigar King (Scottsdale, AZ) was marketing a La Luna Selection line. Blended exclusively for Cigar King by Gael de Courtivron, founder of the original La Luna brand, the line consists of six sizes. The lancero (being a favorite size of mine) caught my eye, so I ordered a fiver to try out. I smoked one right off the truck, but found it to be a little too wet for my tastes. I put the rest away to rest and dry out. Well, today I decided to revisit them.

The sample I pulled was flawlessly constructed, smooth and silky in its nearly vein-free Ecuadorian Connecticut shade wrapper; firm and uniform in bunch, and topped off by a flawless triple cap with a pigtail. The understated double bands are Columbian blue, harking back to the very early La Luna blends.

Pre-light draw was just a touch on the firm side, which I definitely prefer to being too loose. The initial flavors were faintly floral, and a definite medium body immediately asserted itself.

Toasty tobacco flavors suggestive of Nicaraguan and Honduran origin were at the forefront throughout, with nuanced hints of cedar, leather, earth and perhaps a touch of vanilla coming and going as the smoke progressed. The burn was absolutely perfect; laser-straight from start to finish with never a touch-up required.

A slight tannic edginess was always at the background of the flavors, never reaching the point of bitterness, but rather a suggestion that these cigars have a good potential to improve with age. The finish is clean and pleasant.

In all, these are (to my tastes) greatly improved by a few months of rest and by drying down to 65% RH.

I can't really say how these compare to the original La Luna blue bands because it's been years since I had one of those that was fresh, but it was certainly a very pleasant cigar from start to finish. Recommended!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote