Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2003, 02:13 PM   #1
alfa

Perdomo La Tradicion Vintage 1996 Maduro torpedo

This is one of the most beautiful cigars I have ever seen. A big torpedo with a beautiful smooth wrapper. Presentation is first rate. (Now the red tube is kind of obscene. It's tapered for the tapered head of the torpedo, which makes it look like one of those battery appliances that you use to loosen the tight spots in your neck - yeah, that's the ticket I would be embarassed if they went through my breifcase in the airport and pulled this thing out. :P )
The wrapper looks light for a maduro, but its almost zebra-striped with dark streaks. The wrapper feels soapy and smells great. Unlit draw is generous through a small angle cut, and unlit flavor is cocoa and pepper.
The flavor is strong with an herbal character that is best compared to hops. And it occasionally gives mild cocoa. Almost a total absence of sweetness. Honestly, for the first half of the cigar, I wanted something strong to come on and overtake the hops.
Burn was not perfect. It tried to canoe a bit, but was correctable. And it coned a bit at the beginning. Dark pretty ash, but it fell in chunks with the uneven burn.
Everything settled down in the back half, and deep cocoa flavors finally started taking over. The finish also became pleasant and peppery. Smoked it down to an enjoyable nub, and it remained cool spicey to the end.
Enjoyed it, but still prefer the Reserves in either wrapper.
alfa is offline   Reply With Quote