Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Cigar reviews wanted for the new magaizine

With the official re-launch of Cigar Weekly Magazine Monday, July 14, 2014, I am officially calling for personal cigar reviews to be published in the magazine. Don't think you aren't enough of a writer to get published. Our crack team of editors can help you polish any review to make it worthy of publication. Cigar Weekly is a magazine contributed to by its own members. In reality, it is the people's cigar magazine. Manufacturers are going to take notice not only how our members rate their products, but what products they are choosing to review.

It's your chance to cast a vote for what you like by telling us what you like (or don't like). We've always been known as an impartial and independent source, so your input carries even more weight.

You can send your submissions to me at bigo@cigarwekly.com.

Thank you for helping us help you get the content you deserve. Of course, submissions here on the forums are still welcome. By posting them here and letting us help you get them out there, they carry twice the weight.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

Last edited by BigO; 07-12-2014 at 07:47 PM.
BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

It might be beneficial to have a standard rating system, such as 1 to 5 stars, along with categories, such as appearance, construction, taste, burn, etc. Just a thought.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

You're right, but I don't want to frighten people away from trying. Once we get a few in for editorial review, we'll look at what needs to be standardized and what doesn't. It will likely end up being a template much like the ones we used for our blind tastings. Right now, I want to see what reviewers think a cigar review should be, so we can tweak that process and (hopefully) improve it further.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

I'm still not sure what the difference between a forum post and a magazine article is other than spelling and formatting.

Here's a friendly suggestion. Reviewers that wish to have their submission washed, waxed and put in the magazine showroom should include "CW Review" in the title of their thread.

Jason, watch for those and then PM the author for more details, pictures, etc.

Members should also begin using the tags and thread rating tools. Highly rated reviews (4 stars and above for the review, not the cigar,) should be followed up on.

Also, I think it would be fairly simple to use an online tool to receive and edit review submissions for regular blind reviews.

A big issue with the previous blind reviews was the large amount of effort Mad Dawg had to expend to ride herd on the forms, transcribe the text, edit, format and publish the results. By using google docs or a web-based, template driven content entry tool we should be able to streamline that process and push blind reviews through the funnel quickly and much more easily.

Lastly, we should encourage informal participation in the review forum with additional recognition. The thread rating system could become a method of selecting a review of the week/month/year and be the basis of a spotlight article or other more tangible reward.

ElkTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

When I was more active as an editor, I would every few weeks or so, scour this here forum. When I found a good, somewhat in-depth review, I would clean it up, and publish it in the Reviews section of the magazine as a "Cigar Weekly Member Review."

There would be no star-rating, but if it's a good review, it's a good review.
I would give the member a by-line, and then change their status to "Contributing Editor." We had quite a few nice ones published this way.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
N99
Herf Meister

That sounds like a cool way to do it TommyBB. Rarely do I get the urge for a cigar to write more than "was great" or "was crap", but it gives me a little incentive to write a bit more if I think it might get in the mag.

Thanks for the opportunity all, i will think about it some.

THINK, GADDAMIT!

gone bad (fff)
N99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Kilobyte
Herf Meister

I once submitted an article for the, Cuesta Rey 1884 but it was never published.

Kilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

recently?
maybe we lost it...
it's been busy.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilobyte View Post
I once submitted an article for the, Cuesta Rey 1884 but it was never published.
I have no memory of that. Maybe it never made it to my inbox? PM me and I'll give you my e-mail so that you can re-submit it. When the former owners went dark, there was a period of relative chaos around here and things were forgotten. I'd like to remedy that.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
Kilobyte
Herf Meister

No problem, it was a few years ago. It was just a piece about how after the boom I quit cigars and it was not until years later in Germany at a local exchange shop I saw a 3 pack of the CR 1884 and how that cigar alone brought me back to leaf.

Kilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote