Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:48 AM   #1
Ljutic

Bespoke Pipe Tobacco Blends

In the age of bespoke everything, I have to ask if any of you all have created your own blends that personally fit your tastes better than anything else commercially available. Alternately, it may be the equal of something available commercially, but blending your own is much more economical.

Recently, I've become infatuated with pressing pipe tobacco. Reading all I can find on how I might be able to do this on the cheap with tools I currently own. I guess I could try pressing a commercial blend, but then I bought a couple small bags of blending tobacco with a recent order and now I'm thinking of blending AND pressing.

I realize that whatever I do won't be able to compete with the pros, but that's never stopped me from dabbling just for the fun of it.
Ljutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:43 AM   #2
bipolar
Club Member

Alas, I have been using the “noodle press” method for pressing pipe tobacco for about 6 months. It works great. I haven’t really created any blends though, just been pressing specific tobacco to see how well it ages and tastes compared to the same, non-pressed version.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:45 AM   #3
Ljutic

There we go. Thank you. I started with cookie press and had transitioned through garlic press. Didn't even think about Noodle Press. That appears to be the way.

I did like the little pepper press I found. I may still give that a whirl. You don't get much volume produced from each press, but the resulting pressed pucks should be enough for 2 or 3 bowls.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:43 AM   #4
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

I've done some of my own blending over the years, particularly with GH and C&D tobaccos. @jefslat had posted a few years ago about an excellent mixture he came up with which prompted me to give it a try. These days I just do it to tweak certain blends more to my liking. I'll add different C&D Burleys, ribbon cut, dark Burley, or burley cube cut to them. The one I've really stuck with as a personal blend is GH Dark Birdseye and Kendall Kentucky in a 75/25 ratio, really good together IMO. Never tried to do anything with pressure, just mixing up. I'll be interested to hear about your results.
JLOH #19
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #5
Ljutic

In the interest of walking before sprinting, I finally added the smaller of the two presses on an amazon order today. I may be able to squeeze a half ounce into it. Should be perfect for some preliminary testing work. If I like the results it should be easy enough to scale up to a larger press.

Last edited by Ljutic; 11-05-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2022, 01:28 PM   #6
Ljutic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
In the interest of walking before sprinting, I finally added the smaller of the two presses on an amazon order today. I may be able to squeeze a half ounce into it. Should be perfect for some preliminary testing work. If I like the results it should be easy enough to scale up to a larger press.
First press is set up. 6 grams of Watch City 2021 Voriental. First time in the jar since packing last year. It smells amazing.

Back next Saturday with the finished product.

Old 11-14-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
Ljutic

I must have had paper run off the scale when I was originally weighing out the tobacco I was stuffing in the press. There is no way the finished product gained 2 grams from pressing. I only let it go for two days as I really didn't gain anything when trying to crank the handle down after my initial press and refill. The finished weight is accurate. This little pepper press will make an 8 gram portion. I may try without the bottom steel wafer for the next attempt. I should be able to get 10 grams finished weight without that included.

This aluminum pill bottle is on the large side. I could get by with something of a smaller diameter. I'll let it sit for a few days and see if it falls apart or stays solid like it is now.

I'd say this experiment was a success. I can see scaling up to a larger press soon.

Last edited by Ljutic; 11-14-2022 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:20 AM   #8
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2000 View Post
@jefslat had posted a few years ago about an excellent mixture he came up with which prompted me to give it a try.
I always hand-blend, never tried pressing, but I generally favor loose-cut.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 01:30 PM   #9
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

So cool.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:09 PM   #10
SLR
Charter Member
Herf God

Now I am tempted to try this press out. Thanks for the info and pics.
SLR is offline   Reply With Quote