Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
macsauce13
Club Member

Castro Resigns...Will it mean anything?

http://www.businessinsider.com/castr...ns-cuba-2011-4
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

That's great news to be sure. But he's been pretty much out of it for three years, now, anyway. He ceded power and control to his brother Raul.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

My short answer is, not until Raul is gone.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Duffer
Administrator
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
My short answer is, not until Raul is gone.

exactly....

In Memory of Steve Faccenda (TOJE)
Duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I truly doubt that there will be any significant change for at least 6 years, (end of next pres term) as long as raul and the rest of the castro loyalists/communist party remain fully involved. Nothing has really changed except the face under the hat.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
macsauce13
Club Member

Raul, though, is proposing a limit on term as well. I truly think this could be great news for Cuba.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I believe that the situation in cuba has become so grave that the hardliners are having a rough time justifying certain things to themselves.

As a people, we way overestimate what the political situation between our two governments is. We could drop the trading with the enemy act entirely, and it would not have a significant, long lasting effect on cuba as some people expect. None of the carribean nations are as self sufficient as they want to be, as haiti demonstrates. Even the dominican republic is still considered a poor nation. They moslty have no native energy or other resources. they have to buy everything.

If we withdrew as much garment work and other hand manufacturing from some of the more prosperous asian countries, and brought the work into the caribbean, I may be dreaming, but I think that the western world would be better off.

Cuba needs, most of all, to get open tourism. They can't make a living off of agriculture, cigars, or any sort of mining. That is my simple
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Raull and Fidel have said a lot of crap since 59, I think they're a little worried about what they see happening elsewhere, but they aren't going to live forever either.

I've always felt if you want to get rid of them, end the embargo and let them have all the Americans they can handle on the beaches.

My fear is it will end up a lot like it was under Bautista, gambling, tourists and a military regime.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandg View Post

Cuba needs, most of all, to get open tourism. They can't make a living off of agriculture, cigars, or any sort of mining. That is my simple
They HAVE open tourism to most every country BUT the USA. Are WE really the key??
MP is offline   Reply With Quote