Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2002, 02:56 PM   #3
JustPassingBy
Club Member

I would say that this highly depends on the metal, for instance, aluminum when exposed to oxygen yields AL2O3 relatively inert and not a problem, brass on the other hand can leave Copper Oxide(I) and copper oxide(II) one of these is the nice green you seen on rusted copper the second can be reactive with a varietly of other metals/ minerals ( which the cigars them selves are full of) Tin as long as theres no lead would be relatively inert, silver and gold are also fine. if there's copper(read: brass) or lead then I think it would be better left alone. If it doesn't contain these metals go for it.
Another thing to keep in mind is that this metal will "rust" with high non condensing humidity, and no wind movement, meaning that the "rust" pieces will be very very small and after formed the simple act of blowing could dislodge said rust and deposit on the cigars. I would think that adding anything to the cigars except a little age would be a bad thing. Ultimatly the choice is yours.

Edited by - justpassingby on 10/02/2002 3:58:41 PM
JustPassingBy is offline   Reply With Quote