Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 07-17-2002, 08:15 AM   #1
Castanza
Club Member

I finally succumbed to buying my first coolerdor. I had no choice, i got in a new box of LLAF perfecto 5's. My humidor was filled, so i went to Wal-Mart, and bought a 48 quart cooler. I am experimenting with my humdifier. I purchased the El Rey from Mike, a while back, and got the 2 traditional round humidifiers with it. Since i am using a oshkoosh in my humidor, I am trying the other humidifiers to see if they will work. I don't want it to get to expensive or complicated. It would seem like the tupperdor,the coolerdor shouldn't take much moisture since they are practically airtight.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:51 AM   #2
fitzonelove
Club Member

is it a good idea for it to be airtight? Should'nt there be some air exchange?
fitzonelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:57 AM   #3
Vince

Quote:
I finally succumbed to buying my first coolerdor. I had no choice, i got in a new box of LLAF perfecto 5's. My humidor was filled, so i went to Wal-Mart, and bought a 48 quart cooler. I am experimenting with my humdifier. I purchased the El Rey from Mike, a while back, and got the 2 traditional round humidifiers with it. Since i am using a oshkoosh in my humidor, I am trying the other humidifiers to see if they will work. I don't want it to get to expensive or complicated. It would seem like the tupperdor,the coolerdor shouldn't take much moisture since they are practically airtight.
I haven't had a coolerdor and am just repeating what I've heard from others, but it's apparently a good idea to line a coolerdor with cedar. The wood absorbs moisture, then acts as a humidifier itself. Overall, the cedar makes for a much more stable humidification enviroment than just humidifiers. Or so I hear
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 09:11 AM   #4
sprint_67
Club Member

I don't know what your budget looks like but if you buy yourself some Premier Media Beads from Vern or Mike Hotek then you won't have to worry. Check over at www.bargainhumidors.com for prices. I think you would be ok with half a pound. These things are miracle workers. Rock stable humidity for months without having to mess with them at all.
I am not sure if the cedar really does all that much. I have it in mine but haven't been able to tell a difference in anything.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:38 AM   #5
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

For air circulation, you can do a couple of different things.

If there is a "plug" at the bottom of the cooler, leave it unplugged.

If you wish, you can leave the cooler open for a few minutes, once a week Or, more if you feel the need too.
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:29 AM   #6
love_this
Club Member

If you store your cigars in the original boxes, you will have more than enough cedar to help stabilize humidity.

I switched to beads because I was tired of fussing with oasis foam and 50/50. The Climax beads rock.

Make sure you calibrate your humidity meter with the salt test so you know how far off it is.

Depending on how your boxes have been stored, you should have stable humidity in between 1 day to maybe a week or 2. The wood takes a while to stabilize properly.

Good luck.
love_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 11:32 AM   #7
westsideelectric
Club Member

I am also using the Climmax Premier Media in my coolerdor and it works wonderfully. I have a 48 qt. w/ the Resperacion de Havana model inside and I've yet to have a problem w/ humidity fluctuation. I only open it to retrieve daily smokes and that seems to take care of air exchange just fine.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:35 PM   #8
mhotek

Not a bad idea to be airtight. You just need to open it to allow the ammonia to escape and fresh air to go in. Cedar lining isn't going to do anything for you. The cedar in the boxes is more than enough. If you have your first cooler, you'll probably be eyeing a 150 qt. pretty soon.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:45 PM   #9
Vince

So, no lining just use the boxes. Got it. On behalf of all the people I would've had wasting an afternoon cutting up cedar, thanks for the tip.

Edited by - Vince on 07/17/2002 3:46:28 PM
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 09:42 PM   #10
Oppie X
Herf Meister

As long as the cigars are stored in their boxes like said above they will be fine.If you want to line the cooler cheap just line it with the sheets of cedar that come in the boxes or ask your local shop for some.I open mine every day for a minute or 2 to let some air exchange.