Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Herf's Up!!

Herf's Up!! A room dedicated to the announcement and discussion of herfs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #1
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

Steve Saka Called Me An "Oddity"

At the first booth Ben and I came across as we enter the Cigar Fest, the Drew Estates booth, I look across and see Steve Saka standing there talking to Jonathan Drew. I didn't know it was Johnathan at the time because I had never met him before...but I had my suspicions that it was him. I walk over and say, "Hi Steve. How'er you doing?" and Steve says, "Bryan! Herfin Bigdog! Let me introduce you to Jonathan Drew." It was very cool meeting him. We talked for a few minutes. Then I heard Ben calling me. I looked up and frantically waved him over and introduced him to Steve who introduced him to Jonathan. Jonathan asked Ben what he choose as his cigar (Drew Estates had a large selection to choose from). Jonathan came back with another cigar, a Natural Root, clipped it and handed it to Ben who fired it up.

Anyway, Jonathan goes to greet some other people, I think Ben went to look at some other cigars, and Steve and I start talking and the subject turns to Jonathan and the cigars he makes. Steve says something like, "Jonathan doesn't make cigars for the typical cigar smoker. He has found a niche in the market and made it successful.", refering to the cigars he makes from different blends of tobacco that he buys from not-so-typical tobacco producing countries. He looks at me and says, "You're an oddity. You're not the typical cigar smoker." I think he was refering to the fact that the typical cigar smoker is large in stature. At least that's what I believed he was infering. I am 6'3" and about 195. I chuckled at that comment and nodded in agreement. We spoke a few more minutes, then we moved on.

Steve knows me from the JR Cigars BB from a few years back. I had also met Steve before and talked to him on other ocassions. He is always fun to talk to. He contains so much knowledge that I feel it a privledge to talk to him whenever I get the chance. He's just an all around good guy. If you ever get the chance to meet him, introduce yourself to him.

To me, a cigar is more than a good smoke; it is a way of life. I love them! And it killed George Burns at 100, so don't give me any crap about health! -- Bert Sugar, Sports Writer
Herfin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote