Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2002, 10:49 AM   #1
SCgar
Starting Member

Just got my new digital pen hygrometer. I know the praises of these things have been sung repeatedly on this board. But I have to join in...I'm really excited to finally have something I can trust to accurately measure humidity!

I did a salt test in a ziploc bag and the hygrometer read 71% :0 ...I was disappointed. I've seen the length they go to at bargainhumidors.com to make sure every one of these pens is properly calibrated. I knew something had to be wrong with my salt test. So I got out a nice long glass jar and taped the hygrometer to the jar's walls. That left room for the plastic cap containing the salt to sit underneath the hygrometer inside the jar. After 10 hours, it read 75%! :0 I must have had a small leak in the ziplock used for the first test.

Lesson learned: make sure you double the ziplocks, or even better, use a glass jar for the salt test. You will drive yourself nuts keeping your humidor properly humidified using a hygrometer that you incorrectly "calibrated."

Also, thanks Mhotek for the quality customer service. :0 :0

"I can't wait to age these cigars!"
SCgar is offline   Reply With Quote