Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Old 12-10-2004, 06:13 PM   #1
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Movement on NHL Impasse..Maybe

http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/natio...lks041209.html

This football shit is driving me CRAZY...I need HOCKEY!!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
doohnibor
Club Member

Re: Movement on NHL Impasse..Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie5150
http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2004/12/09/Sports/nhlpa_nhltalks041209.html

This football shit is driving me CRAZY...I need HOCKEY!!!!
I'm with you. I miss Hockey

GO Wings!
Old 12-11-2004, 12:01 PM   #3
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

See my thread on average salaries. My reaction is who cares. I've gone from being a big fan to not caring.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
JerseyDevil65
Rangers Superfan
Herf Meister

The players offering to take a 24% immediate paycut is a very smart move. They know in a year or 2 their salaries will be right back to where they were. Unfortunately, the owners are not stupid enough to buy this. The players are going to have to concede more.
JerseyDevil65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
J-ROD
Starting Member

I'm with gumby on this one, I was a big Red Wings fan, but it's obvious that they really don't give a shit about the fans. They make huge amounts of cash to play a game (same as every sport) they supposedly love, but then strike when they don't get every little thing that they want.
Spoiled children. The owners aren't innocent either, they want to get as rich as possible as soon as possible, meanwhile the fans loose out. I don't believe all the talk about owners losing millions of dollars and that they can't support the team.

With that said GO STORM!!
Old 12-12-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
FSUScotsman
Herf God

All my loyalty is with the owners. When you are making that kind of money to PLAY a game and getting the kind of money most of us can only dream of...and THEN you bitch!!!!! BULLSHIT!!! The owners can lock them out till the players go gray!!!
The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist!!!!
FSUScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:31 AM   #7
JerseyDevil65
Rangers Superfan
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ROD
I'm with gumby on this one, I was a big Red Wings fan, but it's obvious that they really don't give a shit about the fans. They make huge amounts of cash to play a game (same as every sport) they supposedly love, but then strike when they don't get every little thing that they want.
Spoiled children. The owners aren't innocent either, they want to get as rich as possible as soon as possible, meanwhile the fans loose out. I don't believe all the talk about owners losing millions of dollars and that they can't support the team.

With that said GO STORM!!
It probably is hard for you to imagine the owners losing money, with you being a Red Wings fan. The Wings sell out every game. Come to Jersey and watch the Devils play in front of 7,000-10,000 fans. The only games they sell out are against the Rangers and Flyers. The Devils are one of the most fiscally responsible teams and they still lose money.
JerseyDevil65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:27 AM   #8
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

I really don't give a shit either way....but tickets are overpriced...I was going to make a trip to Dallas to see a NHL game, found out decent tickets are 80 bucks...
And I need TWO ...so I didn't go to Dallas....
IMO both sides need to give a little and get this show on the road. The longer they wait, the more they lose.
That said, as long as the NFL is populated with the likes of TO and his ilk, I'll be a hockey fan. I'm not going anywhere.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:55 AM   #9
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

I agree, Keith.

Jersey Devil, if you ask me, Lou Lamoriello is one of the best GMs in sports, right now. He has an eye for talent, and like it or not, knows when to let a guy go then gets in a player on a lower salary who fits his role and they win.

Now that's just my uninformed, ESPN opinion from the hockey wasteland that is Louisiana.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:48 PM   #10
FSUScotsman
Herf God

I WANT MY ECHL TEAM BACK!!!!!!
The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist!!!!
FSUScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote