Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 03-19-2003, 09:04 AM   #1
Bobfire

Advice needed in converting storage cab to humi

Saw some nice storage cabs at Oak Express that are made to look like old wooden iceboxes. Seems like I could make it seal tight without much work. The big question would be how to line it with Spanish cedar veneers. The shelves I could make out of whole SC boards.
Bobfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 06:31 AM   #2
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Why veneer? Line it with 1/4" SC boards. I have no experience with the veneer. But what I have seen makes me think it would be more prone to cupping and splitting. Also, is the veneer thick enough to give you the moisture absorption properties you desire? I would doubt it.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 01:47 PM   #3
Þgdlou

I agree with the "Why veneer" comment. SC isn't that expensive, and it's easy to work with. Why add additional worries to something we are always worried about??
Þgdlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 05:19 AM   #4
Bobfire

Sounds like a plan. I think I'll attach the pieces with slots in the screw holes to allow for movement.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:15 AM   #5
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Might be a good idea Bob. With slots, you can use some nice brass screws and get a cool decorative effect. Look the cabinet over carefully. I bought what I thought was a solid oak bookcase. Turned out to be particle board with veneer on it. It was well done. The display fooled me(I didn't look that close). I didn't figure it out until I was assembling it. That was okay though, the price was right.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 07:32 AM   #6
Kramer
Starting Member

Spanish Cedar veneer is just finish work. Its meant to create a finished look inside the humidor but being paper thin it has no real ability to regulate humidity.

Further, its a mess to apply. Frankly, if you got some unfinished empty boxes from your local dealer, this would work as well as planks.

I had a small fridgador, I used beads and the only cedar buffering was from unfinished boxes. Worked great because the seal on the fridge was perfect!

If your cabinet will not be sealed well, get a Set & Forget humidifier or the one Avallo sells. If it will be sealed well beads or a Cigar Oasis will work.
Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 04:38 AM   #7
Bobfire

xrundog, I'll go back and check it out. For the price it was probably veneer. Kramer, veneer was a stupid idea. I have coolers now with 1/2" thick boards on the lid, and on the bottum, and all cigars are in cedar boxes. With a set-up like that I rarely need any humidification and they both stay around 65%.