Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

My Walk-In Humidor *Update with Pix**

Well all summer has gone by and I waited till the last possible minute before I have to go back to teach to try to finish out the inside of the walkin that I have been building for quite some time now. One of the reasons it has taken so long is that I have no friggin idea about construction ( I am a great painter :0) ) so I had to enlist the help of a friend of mine down in San Antonio and that is 2 hours away :0( Anyway I think last time I posted pix they were of the frame and sheetrock... just the outside/inside shell.

old pix if you didnt see them the first time

http://galleries.cigarweekly.com/mik...March_2006_050

http://galleries.cigarweekly.com/mik...March_2006_052

This weekend we ran electricity from an existing receptacle in the ceiling to a transformer for the new lighting in the room. We then had to run that to a switch and finally run from the new switch to a wall receptacle that will power the humidifier and CMT device. We only got shocked once lol and I say we because as my friend was wiring the transformer I was holding the ladder and also got a jolt . Also an orange peel texture was shot on all walls which was really quite easy and went fast. Then we laid a maple hardwood floor (floating floor because of the humid environment in the room). The hardest part about this was paying for the stuff! Over 300$ to cover 64 SQ Feet of floor. Then we replaced an original access panel "door" which was really a piece of plywood with hinges, with a normal hollow core door that we had to cut short to fit the height of the opening. And of course hung door trim around that and added weather-stripping and a big ass threshold to make sure it was sealed and air tight.

So why are there still no cigars in the pix? Well because I still have to prime the walls, and paint 2 color coats with a latex based paint. The color I have chosen is kind of a periwinkle blue or purple/blue which I think is a modern or more progressive color that will go great with the light colored floors. Yes I know some may say spanish ceder panels should be put up but I have heard a few horror stories about h20 getting inbetween the wood and vapor barrier or even worse between the VB and sheetrock causing mold and a walk in humidor that can no longer be used. With the latex paint I can save money to fill up the walk in with cigars, not have to worry about mold because I can see all of the walls, and at the same time add color to the space. Ceiling and door trim will go white. For shelving I am going to use the Platinum elfa from the container store (mother in law works there so I get a killer discount ) which I also think will compliment the floor, wall color, and lighting being that it has a shiny metal finish. Think Metro Modern/ Urban Industrial and you will get the overall theme I was trying to achieve in the humidor.

Click on the url to go to the updated pix

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k215/AustinRider/

I will post back after this weekend when I have more time to paint, put up the shelf units, get in the CMT and Humidifier.

Thanks for looking
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote