Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #1

Newbie Alert -- Humidity and Age Matter

I am a relative cigar newbie. Being one who researches the $#$%^ out of something, unfortunately, after the fact, I have come to some conclusions.

1) There have been some cigars that, upon receipt, were lit and smoked. Some were good, some were not.

2) There have been some cigars that, upon receipt, were left in the humidor for as long as a couple of days (yikes, an eon!). Guess what? Those smoked better.

My wife enjoys cigars too, and bought us a 150 cigar humidor. I tho't that would be too large. A friend of mine bought a 25 cigar humi about the same time. Because of my (limited) experience I am now of the opinion that a 100+ humi is the minimum one should buy. Why? Because stogies need to be "comfortable" before we smoke them.

It is amazing to me the difference between a cigar that I've smoked right after it arrived, and the same cigar after it's gotten "happy" in the humidor for as little as a few days. As a result of this realization, I've purchased an ice chest for the purpose of using it as a "coolidor." That way, the new arrivals can relax before I move them to the humidor for every day consumption.

Summarization: If you're (like me) and just starting out and looking at humidors don't under-estimate the need to allow cigars to age, even if it's only a couple of days. Get yourself enough humidor to allow for some aging; and as far as humidification is concerned, ignore that silly hygrometer that came with your humidor and grab some beads from http://www.heartfeltindustries.com. They're amazing and you won't be sorry.