Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 09-04-2004, 10:30 AM   #1
mike toro

Pulled the Trigger; Active or Passive humidifier?

I finally bought it:
Haier 42-Bottle Wine Cellar. Now I can't decide if I want to shell out the green for a cigar oasis or a pound of climmax or both.

I need to pick up some shelving too and I think I may install some fans.

So much fun stuff to do

mike toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
LabRatGDI
Herf God

Active.
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
dmoby
Club Member

A lb of climax and the ceeder racks can be bought through bargain humidors. For the individual cigars two racks can fit per each shelf and it works great. Enjoy
dmoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:27 PM   #4
mike toro

Did I just get lucky?

In the first three hours this thing is holding 69 degrees at the top and 66 degrees on the bottom with humidity running 65 to 71% totally empty ???

It's probably 75-85% and 75 degrees in the room.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:37 PM   #5
Cigars10

I have a problem, I realized that Palmers is 15 minutes from my job. I go there every Thursday now from 4:30 to 6:30. Smoke and drink. Hold on is this a problem or a solution??
Cigars10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:18 AM   #6
solomr2
Herf Meister

Having run mine for the past 3 years or so, and having experimented with all sorts of different configurations I would advise you to think seriously about air circulation and RH controls.

For air circulation I would suggest 2 fans, one on the lower shelf blowing upward along the right wall, and one on the top shelf along the left wall blowing down. Place them at least 6-8 inches away from the back wall where the cooling lines are situated or it will worsen the RH fluctuations.

For RH, try observing it closely for a day or two. Observe especially when the compressor (if it is equipped with one) kicks in, and keep watching it for about 2-3 minutes after the compressor stops. On mine, the RH used to drop from about 70% down to 30%, and then slowly come back up. This is what I refer to as the RH bounce.

I've tried both active and passive humidification and frankly neither one will prevent the RH bounce. The problem with the active device (I used Oasis) is that it dries out in just a couple of days. That darn compressor just eliminates the moisture from the inside through condensation on the back wall, and then it just drips out through the drain hole. The best solution I've come across so far is use a bunch of little containers with synthetic copolymers strategically situated throughout. I've used the climmax beads too, and still have nearly 2lbs in there, but they just don't hold enough water to resist the effects of the compressor.

I've done a great deal of experiments, with some favorable and some not so favorable results. If you PM your email to me I can send you the details.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy!
Old 09-05-2004, 03:42 PM   #7
mike toro

Thanks Phil

I printed the two articles you wrote on installing fans and controling humidity and read them at work today. Great stuff!

I'll send you a PM with specific questions. Basically I want to route the wires between the inner and outer walls, if at all possible . . .

Do you have pictures of your setup?

Thanks again,
-m
Old 09-08-2004, 06:57 PM   #8
mike toro

Bow down to Phil!

I just followed his directions and now I have two fans circulating air inside the wine cooler as I type. The whole process took less than an hour.

Phil and I have been exchanging emails with mod ideas and overall, it can be said, he's a top notch BOTL.

ps: I'll be posting pictures in the near future.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:40 AM   #9
seaport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike toro
I printed the two articles you wrote on installing fans and controling humidity and read them at work today.
-m
Hard day at work huh?

------
http://www.harrissquad.com
seaport is offline   Reply With Quote