Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2003, 11:21 PM   #1
unklebill
Club Member

Rod Stewart - One of Rock History's Greatest??????

Rod Stewart without a doubt has had one of modern music's most prolific careers.

Ranging from his beginnings w/ the Small Faces to today, he has been at the top of the charts for 40 years.

His unique voice makes his songs instantly recognizable, and as a songwriter, I think there is little doubt that he is one of the greatest balladeers of our time.

I beleive it can be argued that The Small Faces, with Rod Stewart, Jeff Beck and Ron Wood was one of the greatest rock bands of all time. ( I Ain't Superstitious, Stay With Me)

Tonight I am listening to old Rod Stewart songs such as:
Tonight's the Night
You'r in My Heart
You Wear it Well
Maggie May
Gasoline Alley
Every Picture Tells a Story
Country Comforts

Those songs, and his career up to Blonds Have More Fun, certainly solidify his place in history.

And though he still seems to have a few lyrics left in his pen, his tastes as a "true" music-man seem to have abandoned him. His songs, in recent years, though well-written, are a hollow shell of his early years. I think the talent is still there, but how can the same person that wrote and recorded Maggie May turn into what we see today? Any help here???

Also, tell me what your favorite Rod song is.....