Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

Thompson's Cigar Brands - Have You Smoked Anything Good?

I'll say it up front to get it out of the way.

The majority of us feel that there are several dozen (if not hundreds) of better places to purchase cigars other than Thompsons. They are not a serious vendor of name-brand cigars from recognized manufacturers, for several reasons. There...it has been said.

For the purpose of THIS thread, I know this may be difficult, but PLEASE refrain from bashing Thompsons. If you can't offer anything constructive or beneficial to the rest of us, please don't post anything.

Playing the Devil's Advocate (as I did with Colibri Lighters a while back) on behalf of Thompson's Cigars this time...

Have you found any of the myriad of Thompson's lines of cigars worth smoking? If so, what line was it?

I'm asking because I figured that with so many lines being offered (some of them being made by well established manufacturers for Thompsons), odds are that at least one of them is a good, inexpensive alternative.

Some of them actually look good and/or sound interesting. But I don't want to have to buy an entire bundle or box to find out that I don't like a particular Thompsons cigar.

Please fill us in. This enquiring mind wants to know. And I'm sure others might find the answers interesting.

Don't be shy about it. If you like it and it fits your price range, it's worth smoking it.

"Smoke What You Like, and Like What You Smoke."

To me, a cigar is more than a good smoke; it is a way of life. I love them! And it killed George Burns at 100, so don't give me any crap about health! -- Bert Sugar, Sports Writer
Herfin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Can't answer that, but I got a mixed bag from Fincks once, and I really can't say anything for my judgement at the time, but some of them were pretty good at that time. After widening my horizons in so many years since then, I can't endorse it, really. What I remember of a thompson sampler was that they were all loose as hell.

I see all of those things, hundreds of different names, all bundled, and sold as packages, and all I can think of is buying toilet paper for retail sale based on just a few stinking cents a package. I didn;t give a crap what it was, as long as I could make a few cents profit at .97 per package!

The step up, their box brands, really just don't give me any confidence at all. They have one, it retails for $70 or so, and the description reads something like;"if you love RyJ, Onyx, Punch, Montecristo, or LGC, You're gonna like these."

Really? What in the world can it have in common with all of those diverse products that would make it good? Shape? Box art?

Like you, I just am not going to buy into any sort of private label smokes that have so little credibility. Free samples would be the only way that I would try them.

I hope that this isn't a slam, it's just an explanation of why I would never spend a cent, and why I won't touch any of the other companies names, either. I have bought ults, because I got to try them, and becasue of overwhelming endorsements.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
mealstrom
Herf Meister

One of the guys from a sub around here had ordered a box of cigars from Thompson with custom-made bands. I don't know which specific cigar it was, but when I smoked it I really didn't have anything bad to say about it. Wasn't a spectacular cigar, but wasn't bad either. If it was under $2 a cigar I'd be willing to buy one again.

From what I've heard the problem with Thompson's tends to be over-dry cigars that show up in bad condition. The one I got had sat in my humi for a few months before I smoked it, so it had plenty of time to re-humidify if it was dried out.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
hockeymaniac
Herf Meister

I ordered a 2fer of Mata Hari cigars from them a while back. The cigars were actually not bad. They tasted good and were enjoyable. I got the Toro size. The only big problem was construction; some were plugged and many started unwrapping while smoking them.

I alos ordered the 1898 Independcia cigars. Very mild not really that bad for a morning coffee cigar but again construction problems. Many plugged and unwrapping.

Now I have to admit I don't have what I call a fussy palate. A cigar has to be really bad or extemely strong for me not to like it. Also I find their descriptions in their catalogs a bit deceptive. They seem to make you think you are getting the name brand product. At least with the 1898's I felt this. The catalog just said Independcia. I thought these were the cigars that LaAurora made. So my mistake.

I haven't had any other Thompson lines though I have to admit the Tusker line intrigues me but I don't want to waste my money on them with the past history I have had with Thompson cigar construction.

Such a long long time to be gone and a short time to be here

"No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world shits on everybody. Pretending it ain't shit makes you an idiot, not an optimist."
hockeymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Gene
Club Member

The 1st purchase I ever made was a sampler from Thompsons.

Other than the name brands (LGC, HdM, & CAO) it included some of their Amoroso's (which I asume is one of their brands since I've never seen them sold anywhere else)

It was Toro size and I liked it very much.

If memory serves correct that purchase was made 5 years ago and since my tastes in cigars has indeed changed a lot I'm not sure if I would like it today, but at the time it was very enjoyable.........
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
Halon

Never tried any of Thompson's brands, but they are an exclusive (I think) dealer of CAO's candela and oscuro lines of cigars.

TYLER
Halon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Big Smoke
Club Member

I gave Thompson's a try several years ago. I bought their La Paloma line. At least, I tried it. I tried it in the Corojo also. It was worse. The La Paloma wasn't so bad, it just didn't have any taste for me. But the Corojo were just nasty. I ended up giving most of the away on Dog Rocket Day.
I have enjoyed a few of theirs, but I can't remember which ones at the moment. Maybe Belmondo? I don't recall if that was the one. They also had a Golf line I was gifted, and it was

About the only thing worthwhile I got from them was a 300ct. humidor. (oh, and no cigars were attached to the deal. Straight up humidor sale)
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." ~ Ronaldus Magnus
Big Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:24 PM   #8
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Way, WAY back, I got a bundle of cheapo Thompson Phillippine robustos with one of their humidor deals. I choked my way through 3 or 4 of them, gave a couple more to moochers, and tossed the remaining 18 in the trash. Yes, they were that bad.

I used to like their catalogs, though. They burn with bright, cheerful colors.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:38 AM   #9
casual
Club Member

I got an Iguana in a "Bag o Crap", that was ok if you can get past it being green.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:36 AM   #10
stockscalper

No. Everything I've ever gotten has been a turd.