Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 01-02-2006, 05:26 AM   #1
Boss Hogg

Is my Vicksburg defective?

I got one in the fall. Before the indoor heating went on, it couldn't stay above 61% (as measured with the digital gauge provided). With the winter, its humidity has been in the low 50s.

I took all but 35 cigars (an SLB and 10 loose Epi 2 ) out of it yesterday, and added an extra Credo. It measured 82%, then went down to 57% by this morning.

As a control, I put the cigars that I removed from the Vicksburg in a Sterilite box with another digital gauge, but without any humidification devices, and the humidity measured 61%.

Based on this scenario, do you believe the Vicksburg is leaking?
A number of posts say this is a "set it and forget it" humidor but mine doesn't appear to be.

Thanks for your guidance.
Boss Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:48 AM   #2
AZsteelman
Starting Member

Before you can say yes or no, you will need to do a "salt test' on your hygrometers even though they are digital. Do it in a tupperware container so you know you are getting a good test. Then you can better determine what you have JMHO.

Randy
AZsteelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
piranha

You should make sure that your digital gauge is on the money. This kit, BOVEDA ONE -STEP CALIBRATION KIT will let you know for sure. Also, just about everyone here will tell you to get the beads (65%) for humidity control and that would include me.

This should help:

beads+calibration kit
Old 01-02-2006, 07:54 AM   #4
caudio51
Club Member

Also, 35 cigars for a vicksburg is too little. You need to fill it up more and the RH will be easier to maintain.

I would also reccomend getting some of these http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/beads_1.html
caudio51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
Greenwit

I've got a Gettysburg, which looks alot like yours but smaller.

Did you season it properly? Leaving a glass distilled water in the humidor for a few days?

Do you open it alot? One thing I found about my Gettysburg is that it doesn't like to be opened much which can be a PITA sometimes. There is alot of cedar inside (and even more with your humidor) and while it absorbs alot of moisture it also loses moisture fast if exposed to open air.

If you haven't seasoned it yet, do so. If you have I suggest you stick a small glass of distilled water in the bottom so the cedar can soak it up and monitor the humidity along the way to ensure it doesn't get too high.

Of course, like the others said, test that hygrometer....make sure it is accurate before you do anything.
Greenwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
Boss Hogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwit
I've got a Gettysburg, which looks alot like yours but smaller.

Did you season it properly? Leaving a glass distilled water in the humidor for a few days?
I also have the Gettysburg, and its RH is easier to maintain. I did season it and the Vicksburg. I left a bowl of distilled H2O in both for a week before I put any cigars in. And yesterday I wiped down the Vicksburg's lining to see if that would help.

The Vicksburg was filled with 200+ humidified cigars when I started to have problems with the humidity going down. There are very small gaps in the corners where the Spanish cedar lining meets.

I've used 2 different digital hygrometers to test.

The cigars are dry/dense to the touch and they've been in there for over 2 months. I also measured the weight of the Credo before and after I recharged it (thanks, mailroom), and there wasn't much difference in weight (maybe 3.1 oz. before and 3.3 after). So that would seem to support my suspicions that it's leaking.
Boss Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudio51
Also, 35 cigars for a vicksburg is too little. You need to fill it up more and the RH will be easier to maintain.

I would also reccomend getting some of these http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/beads_1.html
Yep on both counts.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
Greenwit

I have gaps also in my Gettysburg.....I don't think it matters much because the cedar is just lining. But, maybe you do have a leak. Then again, maybe you could try out the Cigar Oasis XL active humidifier.......I've been thinking about that myself though it ain't cheap at ~ $100. I have a foam credo and 70% beads but sometimes have trouble keeping the humidity at 65% and above. Right now I've got small cup of distilled water sitting on the second shelf to keep it at around 66%. Good luck.
Greenwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwit
There is alot of cedar inside (and even more with your humidor)
Maybe not. It has been my experience that the cheaper Chinese imports only have a paper thin layer of Spanish cedar. Even so, the problem is that there may be a leak. Have you tried the flashlight test?

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #10
Krakatoa

The easiest method to determine if your humidor is leaking is simply to tape the lid closed using masking tape for a couple of days. Make sure you fully tape all areas of seams, that 3M blue painters masking tape works very well and comes off easy with no residue. Remove the tape after 2-3 days and check the RH again......if it held steady, you have your answer.
Krakatoa is offline   Reply With Quote