Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

corned beef hash.

This whole story starts last week, when I found a little corned beef brisket in the case. Just a little guy, about 2 pounds. Just right for a couple sandwiches. Since it was far too small for the crock pot, I put it on the stove and simmered it for a couple hours, and refrigerated it overnight.

I cut it the next day, and OMG! that was the fattiest corned beef I'd ever seen! it was layered with lard, seriously, and even the best pieces were more fat than meat!

Well, nobody's going to eat that crap. So, I thought, "why not make hash?"

I had obviously and foolishly ignored the fact that I have never made and don't know how to make it, but forge ahead heroically I did. I minced that stuff up, and tossed it into a skillet with a little butter. I took two huge potatoes and chopped them fine, and added them. I cursed my luck for not having an onion, and while cursing, I forgot to salt it.

I turned that thing to med high, and left it to cook. did I mention that I used two HUGE potatoes? Yes, I wound up with a pan full of hash browns and a few fly specks of corned beef.

So I scrambled a couple eggs for my wife, and started my over easies. Tell me, what the hell does it mean when the yolk comes loose from the rest of the egg? I tried turning one, and the damned yolk broke loose and started rolling around the pan. I chased it, trying to make the best of the situation by at least turning it, and apparently chased that sucker far too long. My over easy eggs were well done. I slopped them on my hash, went to get a cup of coffee, and when I got back to the kitchen, a cat was on the counter nosing his way through my plate.

It got ugly after that.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote