Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2004, 04:07 AM   #1
matalo

Free sampler review 5-pack- Review # 1

Thanks to JazzNut for the form I am using. More importantly, thanks to Lastzap for the fiver.

Packaging: Unknown
Dimensions: Appears to be 6x58
Date issued: Unknown
Date smoked: December 20th, 2004.
Accompanying drink: Ice Cold Water
Texture of capa: Wrapper was slightly veiny. With some tooth. Cap was well constructed.
Color of capa: Extremely dark, near the color of, for lack of a better word, Dove Dark Chocolate.
Color of capote: Binder had a reddish tint.
Color of tripa: The filler was dark with slight tint of copper.
Construction: Roll was firm, with some "hard" spots. Slight sponge feel.
Draw: The draw proceeded in fairly open fashion early on, becoming perfectly paced from the 1/3 point on.
Combustion: The pale to medium grey ash regularly held on for 1½ inches or so, while the burn edge maintained good perpendicularity. I did, however, have to re-light the Churchill once during the latter portion of the smoke.

Pre-light aroma: Cedar, chocolate, and leather tickled my nose.
Pre-light draw: Excellent. Flow of air was perfect for such a gargantuan. That loving, comforting, leather/tobacco taste hits your lips upon pre-light draw.
Post-light aroma: Upon lighting, peppery scents accompanied by that familiar chocolate.

Palate entry: First draw was extremely smooth. Very creamy with a slight bite. At about 1/2 inch, floral smell strengthens. Upon exhalation, a wonderful aftertaste consisting of cinammon, pepper, chocolate (again), and flowers lingers. Tons of smoke as it gets to 1/2 inch point. This is going to be a whopper!
Mid point: At this point, the flavors are beginning to build up. More floral and spice flavors. Still extremely smooth. Slight burn consistency, though.
Latter stages: The smoothness never relented on this. Medium bodied finish. Burn problems evened out on own. Ash- charcoal grey. Floral flavors have intensified. Chocolate flavor gone. Cinammon has taken over.

Summary: This smoke lasted a good hour and 45 minutes. It started very tasty, no harshness. Tons of smoke. While it was hard to keep lit at times, this was balanced out by its wonderful body. The strength was medium- not too powerful, yet good enough after a fine meal of homemade manicotti (I love my wife!). I would give this cigar an 8/10. Near perfection. If this is a sign of things to come.....
My Guess: La Gloria Cubana?

matalo
matalo is offline   Reply With Quote