Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
Eagle
Club Member

Dry box

I have about 15 cigars that have been in the dry box for about two weeks and the draw is still to hard to smoke. How long should I give them before I just trash the dam things.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
scubadoo97
Club Member

How do they feel? Are they wet, spongy or dry and firm? I think by now if they are not opening up they most likely are not over humidified and are just plugged as a result of poor rolling.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Skystorm82
Starting Member

Do those tools that are used to fix draw problems not really work? If they're otherwise good cigars, I'd try that before trashing them.
Skystorm82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
big ben
Club Member

I have found that long term is the best. I have about 40 tight cigars in a humidor that is kept around 58% that are becoming smoke-able after about a year. The few I have tried tasted great, so don't give up, just forget about them for a while.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.
big ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Skystorm82
Starting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big ben
I have found that long term is the best. I have about 40 tight cigars in a humidor that is kept around 58% that are becoming smoke-able after about a year. The few I have tried tasted great, so don't give up, just forget about them for a while.
This is probably stupid...but how do you know the cigar has too tight of a draw before you even try smoking it?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
maduro4me

Usually you have to give it the squeeze test to check for hard spots, but that doesn't always work on dried out cigars as they will crack and break.

I would clip the the cap and test draw on the cigar. If it is clogged you can poke it or trash it. If its not clogged let it sit in a prepaired humidor and let it rest.

I have done this with good results as it cures quicker if clipped and unwrapped.

Good Luck
Old 09-26-2007, 03:21 AM   #7
Eagle
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skystorm82
Quote:
Originally Posted by big ben
This is probably stupid...but how do you know the cigar has too tight of a draw before you even try smoking it?

I always clip and draw before I light up to check and see if the draw is ok so I don't waist a cigar.

These are not spongy! They feel like they are dry and ready to smoke I will give them some more time and see what happens. Thank all for you for your replys.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
I always clip and draw before I light up to check and see if the draw is ok so I don't waist a cigar.
That's what I do as well.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #9
Skystorm82
Starting Member

Guess I should have done that with a 5 Vegas Miami I had that was plugged to hell. Oh well...at least I know better for next time.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #10
rdking

Have had great luck with these for opening up a tight draw

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=38

They take a little practice to learn how to use, but after a few sticks you never have to suffer through a tight draw again - or trash an otherwise good smoke.

Mark

Favorite Quote:
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
rdking is offline   Reply With Quote