Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Perdomo Habano "Toro" Maduro

Perdomo Habano "Toro" Maduro
5-1/2" x 54 RG
Nicaragua

Nick Perdomo was gracious enough to gift me one of these impressive-looking cigars at the RTDA in Houston last August. It's been resting in a desktop since then, waiting for the right moment. This morning, that moment arrived.

According to the Perdomo Times, the Habano line is composed of tobaccos from all three Perdomo farms in Nicaragua: Esteli, Condega, and Jalapa. Blending leaf from these three farms was intended to bring complexity to the Habano line, and it worked. The wrapper for this one was a triple-fermented Nicaraguan maduro.

Appearance: Smooth, almost veinless maduro wrapper, lightly sheened with oils. Gorgeous! Second band protects the foot of the cigar - nice presentation.

Pre-light: Draw slightly looser than I prefer, but not at all bad for a 54RG smoke. Rich, earthy/toasty tobacco flavors with cedar/leather undertones and a distinct sweetness, perhaps from the wrapper, perhaps from the Jalapa leaf in the blend.

Impressions: Body perhaps a bit on the mild side of medium. Clean flavors of tobacco with faint chocolate undertones and just a hint of white pepper at first, then shifting to a more nuanced blend of cedar, cocoa, coffee with cream, and a faint earthiness, all underlain by that same sweetness that came through prior to lighting. As the cigar progressed, the body deepened a bit and the flavors shifted, each taking turns at the front while never really overwhelming the others or disappearing altogether. Burned to a 1" nub, leaving behind a clean, lingering finish.

Burn: Slightly uneven, resulting in a few minor (but not really necessary) touch-ups.

Bottom line: The only flaws in this cigar (draw and burn) were really rather minor. Having lots of experience with other cigars in the Perdomo lineup (especially the Reserve and Estate lines) I found this one to be a worthy addition to the line. Recommended!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote