Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Old 01-18-2003, 09:50 AM   #1
Thairlar
Club Member

Thornton Has Some Choice Words About Officiating

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/01...or_long+.shtml

Can't say I disagree with him.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:30 AM   #2
doohnibor
Club Member

I hope he's got his wallet handy. I'm sure he'll be fined for his remarks.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:52 AM   #3
Cheakamus
Owner Emeritus
Club Member

I hope not. It's too bad if players can't express themselves honestly off the ice without getting reprimanded. The reffing has become rather inconsistent in the NHL, it seems. Something needs to be done about it. It may just be long term adjusting to the two ref system.

Scumbag #666
---
"Gosh I am god betting major publication of to get cigar news out " - Adminonymous
Cheakamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 03:00 PM   #4
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

They've had to double the size of the officiating pool to run the two ref system, so you're going to get some guys who are not as good as the older guys who've been around. Then you've got to get more young linesmen to take the place of the ones who've been promoted. It's going to take a couple of years.

It will also affect all levels of hockey as guys get promoted from one league to another.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 03:43 PM   #5
monteman
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorton
. It just doesn't seem like the referees are putting enough effort in that the players are every night, and something has to change.
Actually - Thorton didn't write it he said it but the point is that's a low blow and that's what is going to get him in trouble. It's "almost" OK to criticize a call or an interpertation but to question the effort. Watch the zebras at a game - they bust their chops. Except for the exception (see Koharski/donuts) , most are in great shape and work very hard. How good they are and whetter they give a full effort are different issues an I think he crossed the line.
monteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 07:38 PM   #6
FSUScotsman
Herf God

I think the reffing is no up to what it was five years ago. You are seeing too many penalties ignored. I think that it isn't the calls that are made that is the problem, but the calls that can get the guys hurt that are just let go.
The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist!!!!
FSUScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 11:02 PM   #7
Thairlar
Club Member

I don't think it's a low blow at all. What happens when a player doesn't perform? They lose their job or go to the minors. What happens when a ref doesn't perform? Face it, being a ref in the NHL is pretty much a forever thing. Until they hang up the skates, they're in the striped shirts with the pretty orange armbands.

I'm not saying there aren't refs in good shape who work hard. The point is, you can work your ass off and still not perform well.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:29 AM   #8
monteman
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thairlar
I don't think it's a low blow at all.......
I'm not saying there aren't refs in good shape who work hard. The point is, you can work your ass off and still not perform well.
I have to respectively disagree - it is a low blow.. Beyond questioning the results, Thorton was questioning their effort - and I maintain that there are probably a lot more NHL players who give less than 100% day in and day out than officials. I really have never heard any NHL player question the zebra's effort - sure they're all over the performance - but not the effort. JMO
Old 01-19-2003, 09:18 AM   #9
Thairlar
Club Member

After all the complaints about consistency they've received, there's been no improvement. In fact, it could be argued it's got worse. There's been no effort on the part of the refs to improve their consistency and the quality of their calls. They're content because no matter what they do, their jobs aren't in jeopardy.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:37 AM   #10
monteman
Club Member

The NHL is the only pro sports league (the "big" 4) that fines (yes $$$$) their officials when they have made obvious mistakes? Every game is reviewed by the league and if they don't like somethig - wham!!! So maybe their jobs aren't in jeopardy, but their wallets and post-season assignments, which are also based on league and coaches assessments, are. That's a pretty good incentive to do a good job.