Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Nekotaku

Zino Classic vs Mouton-Cadet

So a while ago I was informed by a vendor that the Mouton-Cadet line from Zino would disappear and make place for the Classic line. Apparently the rights on the MC name expired. Old news, no big deal. As long as I could still smoke some of my favourite Honduran sticks, what difference does the name make?
Just got myself a no. 4. A real MC, that is. Not yet the Classic line. So, out of interest, I'm browsing around a bit online for info about the Classics. To my shock and horror, I'm noticing the words "Dominican" and "republic". Right after each other, no less.
Apparently these things got a new blend. Let me paint you a picture here for a moment: I don't hate DC cigars. How could I when they make Arturo Fuente, Private Stock and Avo XO? But I'm wary of them. Most are too soft for my tastes. Honduras, on the other hand? Right up my alley (figure of speech, people). Variety, a very personal nutty flavour I adore, more reliable construction than Cubans.
Now these cigars apparently still have a Honduran filler and binder, but are now produced in the Dominican Republic. As far as my knowledge goes, they weren't in the MC years.

So tell me... has anyone here who's well familiar with the MC line tried these new Classics, and are they still mostly the same in terms of flavour? Or must I track down a certain Henke Kelner and club him to death with a Villa Zamorano Churchill that has been out of a humidor for 6 months?
If they're the same, or still largely the same but even better, I'll send him a mail of thanks. But I swear to God if he ruined the very brand that was the first thing I ever smoked the meeting with the Churchill will be swift and painful.

EDIT: Also, 200th post. Whoo. I've been here for over two years? Really? There's places where I've probably made 200 posts in one week. Once I'm no longer a student the cigar smoking should pick up a bit.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
JulietasRomeo
Herf Meister

As of today I've had both. I actually tried the Classic first, and today I tried the Mouton-Cadet. The MC is way to mild for my taste, as was the Classic. However, I do remember the Classic having a bit of a bolder flavor. I don't smoke alot of these, So I really couldn't tell how much of a change this is....but if you like the MC's give the Classics a try. They're a pretty good smoke, I just don't like Mild ones

JulietasRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Nekotaku

While mild, I always found the MCs with a limited ring gauge to have a rich flavour and reasonable amount of body. And this is coming from someone who exhales every mouthfull of smoke through his nose to taste any of it. Still, they're no powerhouses, that's for sure. What I'm mostly concerned about is whether the flavour is mostly the same in the Classics as in the MCs. If it is, only bolder, that's a good thing in my book.
Thanks for the feedback, JR. I'm somewhat comforted now. Actually, it's interesting in that this is the first time a cigar I'm well acquainted with goes through a change, and comparing the new versions with the old ones should be good for my review database.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #4
CJ3
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulietasRomeo
As of today I've had both. I actually tried the Classic first, and today I tried the Mouton-Cadet. The MC is way to mild for my taste, as was the Classic. However, I do remember the Classic having a bit of a bolder flavor. I don't smoke alot of these, So I really couldn't tell how much of a change this is....but if you like the MC's give the Classics a try. They're a pretty good smoke, I just don't like Mild ones
I think Sean just 'd me with a coupla' these. Sounds right up my alley...
Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
JulietasRomeo
Herf Meister

The MC I smoked was a #8 (Churchill), and the Classic was a #6, so both had pretty good rings on them, I don't know.....

Different strokes I guess.

JulietasRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
xavier
Club Member

Zino Mouton Cadet has been discontinued here for the last 4 to 5 years. A beautiful honduran cigar that is mild but very rich and flavorful.

Davidoff came up with the Zino Classic line with the maroon band about 2 years ago. It is not same blend of a Mouton Cadet, a complete different cigar made in the Dominican Republic. It tastes like a milder version of Zino Scepter series. I like it and smoke it regularly, but it is NOT a Mouton Cadet.

If you want to get some Mouton Cadet, check FAMOUS cigars, they regularly have them in Auction for good prices. I found them in the wholesale auction, 2 boxes of Mouton Cadet #8 , without cello, for 120 dollars. That is cheaper than the price of one box.

Good Luck

I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, true or false, are often revealing...Col Hans Landa
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Nekotaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulietasRomeo
The MC I smoked was a #8 (Churchill), and the Classic was a #6, so both had pretty good rings on them, I don't know.....

Different strokes I guess.
That's just the thing... I find the bigger ones to be somewhat bland. Or more accurately, they don't keep your attention enough. Also didn't seem as polished to me as the smaller vitolas. I prefer the MCs in a small dose. Then they're just perfect.

And Xavier... dang horrible news, man. I hate to lose these sticks. Most stores over here in Belgium still sell MCs, the move to the Classic line seems quite recent here. If only I had a humidor and some damn cash I'd stock up right now. I'm just gonna have to hope that in one year's time they'll still be knocking about enough, then I might stock up on whatever I can get my mitts on.
I certain guy by the name of "Henke" is gonna get severely clubbed, if only to find out who decided production should move along with the name. Then that person is gonna get clubbed even harder.