Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2003, 04:35 AM   #1
Joe_L_Vegas
Starting Member

Properly Humidified or Not? Newbie Help

Hi all,

Well, over the past several months I've been testing, smoking and learning as much as I can about cigars. I've purchased a couple of humidors and from this site, learned about prepping and calibrating the humidor.

I split my stock into a couple of different groups. In the smaller humidor, I combined a number of different cigars, some in the cello, some out, to try to see how they would blend. Except for occasionally checking the guage and adding some water, I've pretty much kept it shut and sealed.

I decided that today would be a good day to grab one of these cigars from the smaller humidor and give them a try. I reached in and discovered that although the guage still reads 68%, the cigars are all very hard.

Which leads me to my question.... ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO BE HARD LIKE THIS?

I know it sounds stupid, but in the larger humidor which I open and close all the time, the cigars are "softer" to the touch. The smaller humidor cigars are rock hard. Almost as if they've been sitting out for the last couple of months. Because the cigars I put in the smaller humidor are not the same type as I've been smoking, I don't know if these are supposed to be like this or if perhaps my guage isn't working properly.

I will say that I haven't smoked it yet as I'm too stunned. I'm sure once I smoke a couple I'll know if I'm screwed but right now I'm looking for any advice and reassurance I can get.

Thanks in advance.