Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

2001 Rafael González Coronas Extra

They are great.

Corona Gorda size is one of my favorites along with the Churchill and DC cigars. I enjoy this size because it’s a little longer than a robusto but shorter than a churchill with about the same Ring gauge. I believe that ring gauge, which ties to the overall weight of a cigar, makes the cigar taste like it does. More filler and binder equals more Tobacco for more flavor variation as the cigar burns….a more complex cigar. This makes this size perfect for a shorter amount of time or when you may want to smoke two cigars back to back.

Photo credit to Cubancigarwebsite.com

Interesting side observation …I think that the addition of four paper flaps within the cigar box decreases the airflow to the cigars. This leads to an aged cigar that still has the majority of flavor as a newer 1-5 year old cigar, but is much more complex in nature. I don’t have any other Marcas in my walk in that have this style packaging.

Photo credit again to Cuban cigarwebsite.com. My box since it is newer in age looks a bit different on the inside lid. What does look the same is the the four paper layers and thus, why I am posting this photo.

No big review here. I will let Jeffslat do that Just a perfect Colorado color wrapper. Nice bunch at the foot. Not to dense, and all visible cigar leaves bunched in a rotational manner. Snipped the end with my Palio. Perfect draw so I didn’t use my draw tool. This example is the first cigar off of the bottom row of an 2001 box. So far an amazing amount of smoke and perfect burn. Dry cedar mixed with a bit of earth has been the flavor of the first third (where I’m at now). If this example holds true to the others I have smoked, the second third will be a more robust flavor of cedar with cream mixed in and the the last third will be a bit more intense on the cedar and added earth. This cigar is kinda like if you mixed a Monty and an El Rey Del Mundo and added Partagas at the end.

Anyway…150 more of these aging in vacseal bags. Glad I planned ahead
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:03 AM   #2
emind56
Club Member

Great review. Haven’t seen one of these in quiet a while. I still enjoy the PE often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
emind56 is offline   Reply With Quote