Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #1
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

What's the deal with Texas and OK joining the SEC?

I'm just hearing about this and it seems to be a done deal. Do they really want their asses whupped 6x a year?

Kinda screws Jimbo Fisher over, eh?

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
KatDad
Herf God

The SEC, which has always seemed to be a cohesive bunch, is playing with fire IMO. Texas is notorious for "not playing well with others". They figured prominently in the demise of the the old Southwest Conference. It took them two tries, but it now looks like the've destroyed the Big XII.

They've started on the SEC before even being a member. Reports I've seen said that Texas A&M was blind sided by this news, and extremely pissed off about it, as they had been kept in the dark regarding it. It was them who broke the news on Wednesday as soon as they found out about it. They had joined the SEC to get away from Texas.

I do look forward to seeing Texas getting their arrogant butts kicked regularly by Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida, Auburn etc...

My apologies to Texas fans but sometimes the truth hurts.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave

Last edited by KatDad; 07-24-2021 at 05:15 AM.
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:40 AM   #3
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Now this?

https://www.outkick.com/clemson-ohio...ida-state-sec/

This is due to one person. Nick Saban.

Googlymoogly. Kendall must be spinning in his grave.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 07-24-2021, 05:14 AM   #4
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Googlymoogly. Kendall must be spinning in his grave.
The same thought crossed my mind.

I would remind the SEC of two related things:

1. The Law of Unintended Consequences, and

2. Be careful what you wish for.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:15 AM   #5
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

That would dilute the conference so deeply, 3 of the 4 playoff games would be conference games unless SC and OR find defensive powerhouses.

Makes me wonder (even as a lifelong Alabama fan) if there's that much momentum to deny anymore championships to Saban that they figure they should try to defeat them in conference games rather than on the national stage.

Place my vote in the no column. Just the tv contract is enough for the powers that be to say no to the deal

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
That would dilute the conference so deeply, 3 of the 4 playoff games would be conference games unless SC and OR find defensive powerhouses.

Makes me wonder (even as a lifelong Alabama fan) if there's that much momentum to deny anymore championships to Saban that they figure they should try to defeat them in conference games rather than on the national stage.

Place my vote in the no column. Just the tv contract is enough for the powers that be to say no to the deal

Stop licking Saban's nuts, Jason.

This is about the next FIFTY years for Tx and OU, it's not about, or all about, on-field championships. This is about TV and the gravy train that is the SEC. They are missing out, big time on TV money when they play anyone ELSE in their own conference but each other. Saban will be retired or dead in a few years, this is not about wins and losses.

It's about collective negotiating power, and now that Texas has maximized that in the SWC, and the BigXII, they have nowhere else to go, and have likely it the ceiling as far as what they can make off of their own fans and TV network.

You Gumps can be tiresome sometimes.

Still love ya, anyway.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote