Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
debaire
Herf Meister

How often...

do you check your humidor to see that it's holding the right humidity and the temperature is ok? I think I open it 3-4 times a week. Is that too often?

Fine, twist my arm, I'll smoke a cigar.
RIP cubano67, knife
Full Flavor Federation (FFF) - Charter Member
debaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
flyfishtn
Club Member

Doesn't seem that often to me. Might want to invest in a hygrometer with a probe if you feel this is too often.

For me, I have an Avallo and my digital readout can be seen by looking through the glass door.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
hijerky
Starting Member

just picked up a glasstop desktop humi for the same reason
hijerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
Smoker06
Herf God

I check the hygrometer everytime I open the humidor to get a cigar. That probably averages once a day per humidor. I sometimes go for a couple weeks without opening the coolers.

I don't think I ever (anymore) open the humidors or coolers just to check the humidity.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
TeamGLW

Ahhh. That's why I love my Radio Shack wireless system. I have a remote sensor in my desktop humi and one in my coolidor. The sensor itself has a digital read out of humidity and temp, plus I have a wall monitor with Jumbo display that shows the humidity level and temp of each sensor. It also shows the room temp/humidity as well. There is even an alarm if you want it to signal high or low humidity. I purchased this setup for $40 with one sensor and just bought another sensor for $15. Very accurate and easy to read. I'm looking over at my wall now and it says 66.4 deg - 66% in the Coolidor and 69.1 deg - 67% in the desktop. Temps are different because where they are located.

100ft range too

mike
TeamGLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
debaire
Herf Meister

Nice

Fine, twist my arm, I'll smoke a cigar.
RIP cubano67, knife
Full Flavor Federation (FFF) - Charter Member
debaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
FSUScotsman
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGLW
Ahhh. That's why I love my Radio Shack wireless system. I have a remote sensor in my desktop humi and one in my coolidor. The sensor itself has a digital read out of humidity and temp, plus I have a wall monitor with Jumbo display that shows the humidity level and temp of each sensor. It also shows the room temp/humidity as well. There is even an alarm if you want it to signal high or low humidity. I purchased this setup for $40 with one sensor and just bought another sensor for $15. Very accurate and easy to read. I'm looking over at my wall now and it says 66.4 deg - 66% in the Coolidor and 69.1 deg - 67% in the desktop. Temps are different because where they are located.

100ft range too

mike
Must be nice to be able to keep them that cool without a $500 electric bill!!!!
The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist!!!!
FSUScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
eagle eyes eric
Herf Meister

Mike - nice set up. Can you give me some descriptions of your coolidor? Size, if you lined it with cedar, etc...

I'd like to buy a cooler but don't know if I can really afford to load it up -- and if I do get it I need to know exactly how to set it up.

Oh man, so many options, so many dreams of having boxes of cigars at my disposal. One day ... one sweet day.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
TeamGLW

I guess it's all relative. You don't have single digit temps in winter to worry about heating your house in.

Most of the year.. my basement (where my office is) stays around mid to upper 60's depending on floor where coolidor is or top of my tv cabinet where my desktop humi is.

You also have prettier women in bikinis
Old 05-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #10
TeamGLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle eyes eric
Mike - nice set up. Can you give me some descriptions of your coolidor? Size, if you lined it with cedar, etc...

I'd like to buy a cooler but don't know if I can really afford to load it up -- and if I do get it I need to know exactly how to set it up.

Oh man, so many options, so many dreams of having boxes of cigars at my disposal. One day ... one sweet day.
Well... I just made a coolidor. And it is empty SO FAR. I have no immediate plans to buy enough cigars to put any in it but I wanted to set one up so it was ready when needed. I bought a Igloo "Ice Cube" 60qt square/deep cooler. I bought another wireless sensor to add onto my other one. I put a few empty boxes on the bottom along with some little pieces of spanish cedar. I used velcro to attach the sensor to the side of the cooler. I bought more Heartfelt Beads-- 1/2 pound of 65% with a bag. Put them in the bottom.Done!

Holding steady at 66-67%

To recap the ease/cost of setup
1. Igloo "Ice Cube" Cooler $18
2. 2 Empty cedar boxes $0
3. 1/2lb Heartfelt 65% Beads w/bag/shipping $23
4. Extra remote wireless Hygrometer w/ tax $16

Done

Doesn't take much effort