Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2004, 09:11 AM   #1
Rhino
Club Member

Montecristo No 5 - June 2001

Montecristo No. 5 (Tres Petite Corona)
Cuba June 2001; Box code unknown

Sometimes the little brother is better than the big brother. Okay, you never hear that, but you could say that the little brother of the Montecristo No. 4 is as good as it's larger brethren.

I had this little gem last night after working on some stuff for my wife. I decided to take this out with me to the garage and while waiting for my solution to work I would smoke this. It started with a clean cut and a very smooth draw before lighting. I knew I was going to like HOW it smoked, but as this was my first time with this particular vitola, wasn't quite sure if I would like the smoke itself.

Took to the flame like a champ. I mean no hesitation at all. The burn was razor sharp the whole length and never came close to needing a touchup. First couple pulls I got mostly just an earthy taste, very powerfully. It then proceeded to develeop a little bit a mixture between the earthy tones and a semi sweet chocolate taste. It never got too complex, as that wasn't was I was wanting or expecting. It did however satisfy me. I pulled that little sucker down to the last 1/2-1/4 inch and still didn't want it to go out.

A very satisfying experience for me. Having my first Montecristo No. 5 treat me this way has been a great time, and will encourage me to look at this a little bit more often as an option.

I'm older in my mind than my body says, but I'm younger in my attitudes than my mind should allow.
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote