Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2003, 04:43 PM   #1
solomr2
Herf Meister

I bought a 5-pack from a CW member recently, and decided to light the first one up a couple of days ago. They have apparently been aged approximately 1 year based on box code.

Now, I've had around 10-12 of these in the past, and the last one I had before this one was about 4-5 months ago. That one was a 2000 specimen, aged around 2 years, and I really enjoyed it a lot.

As I normally do, I like to taste the tobacco for a little while after clipping but before lighting it. Immediately, I could tell something was different. Normally there is a little bite to that first taste, but this time there was none.

I lit the cigar and sat back to concentrate on the flavor and enjoy with a Grolsh beer. Again, something was different. The cigar tasted okay, but it didn't seem to have that bold Monte taste and that rich, complex character I normally associate with this cigar. The flavor was smooth, no roughness, and there was the ever present Cuban twang, but no depth. I smoked on and on, past the halfway point, but the cigar didn't really develop any further. The body remained at medium, and the flavor was average throughout. Certainly not a memorable experience. In fact, this was probably the most disappointing Monte #2 I've ever had.

I'm wondering if aging longer would help the other 4 develop some more character and depth. At this point, I don't particularly look forward to smoking them any time soon given the experience from the first one.