Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2015, 05:44 AM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

Ernesto's Humidor No.1 (this might be fun!)

One of the new releases at this year's trade show was an offering from E.P. Carrillo.....an interesting concept, "Ernesto's Humidor No.1".
Perez-Carrillo found himself with tobacco set aside which he simply did not have enough of to run a full production with, so taking this limited stock he created three different blends which he himself would enjoy. Taking these three different blends he created 500 humidors or boxes containing 30 cigars, 10 from each blend. The cigars come in one size, 6x54. The three blends are: "Connecticut" w/Ecuador Connecticut wrapper, Nicaraguan binder and a blend of Dominican and Nicaraguan filler. "Colorado" w/Colorado with an Ecuador Sumatra wrapper, Nicaraguan binder and Nicaraguan filler, and "Maduro" w/Connecticut broadleaf as the wrapper, with Ecuador Sumatra binder and Dominican and Nicaraguan filler.
I have taken on the task, heavy as it may be, to sample EACH of the offerings from Ernesto's Humidor and report my findings to my fine friends here.

First up is the Connecticut....

As you can see, a beautiful smooth medium brown wrapper with a nice finish and IMO a simple yet elegant band.
This will be my first cigar of the day, and will pair with water so I can get a true taste for the cigar itself.
Taking a whiff from the foot I don't get a whole lot of anything in particular, maybe a light leather aroma with a little bit of citrus in the background.
I clip with a v-cut and take a pre-light draw and get a just a taste of vanilla and cream.
Putting a torch to the foot, the cigar lights with a very nice draw and a nice bit of flavor from the get-go. The first few puffs provide a pleasant creaminess which is balanced with just a bit of white pepper. The first half inch is very tasty, providing a nice light to medium strength profile, light to medium body yet a good bit of flavor.
After the first inch the cigar settles into more of a light to medium profile all the way around, with a woodsy character and a little creaminess mixed in for good measure. This cigar would go well with a good cup of coffee in the morning. At this point the burn on the cigar starts to waver a bit, needing a touch-up or two during the middle portion. The pepper has faded well into the background leaving more of a leather impression along with a little coffee note.
As I enter the final third I find the strength creeping up a little while at the same time losing any of the creaminess which was found in the beginning. More of a straightforward tobacco flavor at this point without a lot of complexity.
As I near the end of this smoke I take note of my overall impressions of this cigar.....I would peg this as light to medium in strength & body while the flavor bounces from light to med-full. I really enjoyed the first half of this cigar. Being a fan of fuller bodied cigars I am always pleased to find a "light" cigar with a lot of flavor....I would say this qualifies.....almost.
The burn issue I had was a little distracting, but not overly so. I guess my only true disappointment was that it didn't seem to deliver in the second half IMO. While it gained in strength which I believe is pretty typical, it didn't gain in flavor, but in fact seemed to lose some of the "flavorful" aspects found in the first half.
I DO think this would be a fine "first smoke of the day" for most everyone and especially enjoyable with a cup of coffee.
I'd give this one 2 & 1/2 stars out of 5.