Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

La Herencia Cubano Lonsdale Review

Someone recently asked me, Why don't I review Bundle or Bargain smokes, very often. I certainly smoke them. Yes, but sometimes it's really hard to get worked up over a 'just ok' cigar. They may be passable smokes, but mostly they are one dimensional experiences. Plus, I do not enjoy bashing a brand for trying to hit a price point and really how much can one expect from a $2 to $4 cigar? Well, the $3 or less Bargain thread in the Smoking Post, got me thinking that I should try to be more open minded.

So, here We Go.

Cigar: La Herencia Cubano Lonsdale

Size: Catalog calls it a Lonsdale at 6.5 x 44, I concur.

Price: Average Online Price is around $4 each or a box of 20 for $60.

Appearance: The Wrapper has what I would call call an 'old Chocolate' color. A kind of Chalky Brown coloration. There is a flat tone to it. The Wrapper has big veins and the whole thing is a bit lumpy and it is not completely symmetrical. In sharp contrast the cap is nicely done, it is neat and tidy. The band looks cheap and appears to be glued to the wrapper. Maybe with a little heat and luck, it will let go, without a fight.

Construction: Again, I understand that One cannot expect the same from a bargain cigar. However, the basics in construction are the same for all Hand Made Cigars and the basics are important at all levels. That said, this is not a badly constructed cigar. It does have lumps, it does have the odd bulge and the foot is misshapen. But, nothing horrendous or likely to generate a Great Hue and Cry from the Smoking Masses.

Pairing: Rum and Pepsi today, nothing fancy.

Pre Light: The clip was simple and clean. The draw is the same, maybe just a touch light. Not much flavor on the draw, but a nice tobacco taste on the lips.

Match: Not poetic license, I actually used a match, in keeping with the basic theme. She lit right up and Viola` We are off!
Actually, it's not a bad start, the initial flavors were earth, wood and something sort of Sweet. Several Brothers have recommended this line to me in the last 6 months or so. Pierre even sent some of the Big Perfectos my way. But, the ones that I had smoked so far, have underwhelmed me. I wonder if I am expecting too much or prejudicing them and other's in the same price range? This unit seems ok, good smoke production, easy draw, flavor is Okay. As mentioned in a recent review, I really like the Panatella or Lonsdale size. I think it's about the perfect size.
The ash is uniform, flaky and bright white, 3/4 an inch is about where it drops off on it's own. The wrapper is now developing cracks about 1.5 inches behind the coaling point. Flavor is consistent, with the finish developing slightly. I am rewarded! The band has released from the wrapper and I slide it off with zero damage. The draw is still easy and the pleasant taste continues albeit Monochromatic in it's variety. at 5" all seems stable and consistent. Here's where I get into trouble. I have 5" of doldrums smoking in front of me. I smoke one to two cigars a day, on weekdays when time allows I add another. I look forward to those cigars. If my primary thought is "What do I want next?" I'm not enjoying the current smoke am I? There is nothing wrong with this cigar, technically. But, I'm not really enjoying it, am I? The burn is ok. The construction is ok. The flavor is ok.
I guess what I am saying is, I'm not looking for a 'just ok' cigar. I want a Great cigar! If I smoked 5 cigars a day or smoked them doing yard work or driving ok would be OK. But, when I set down and focus on the Event of my Nightly Cigar, I want it to be an Event! Let's face it there's always something else going on in Our Life. We don't always get to do what We want to do. There are Other People whom already have "plans" for Our days and evenings, Right? So, the little time I get to Enjoy a cigar is Precious Time. It is not time I want to waste on a boring or iffy cigar. Now, I cannot afford $15 to $20 a piece cigars all the time. But, I want more and better than this cigar has shown me so far. I'm not a snob (I don't think) and I always have Connies in the box for two reasons, Price and Flavor. I have met Folks whom can afford to smoke only Hyper Premiums or the latest Habanos. That is great for them. Me, I get what I can and because of Friends here I get to try some things that are Amazing. But, it's very hard to get excited about the Hundreds of bundles and bargain smokes, out there. There are Gems to be found, for sure and I certainly do not mean to dismiss them all.
I have in the past said "I want to try them All." Now, I don't want to try them all. I want to try All of the Good Ones.
At 3" We're still plugging away. There is now kind of heavy tannin taste almost oily, that clings to the inside of my mouth. I clip and Purge, but it is still there. Burn and temp are still ok. I just don't like the thought of smoking a cigar and feeling like I wasted that time on something boring, just to save a couple of bucks.

At 2" I put it down, the oily taste was just too much. If I had retired it at 3.5" that would have been about right. Now, I have to try to get this taste out of my mouth. In fairness, I did have a better experience with the Big Perfecto in this Brand. But on measure, I'll still have to pass on this one.

Final Thought: Not a Horrible cigar, I just never really liked it. The construction was ok, the materials seemed ok, the combustion was ok. It just never really came on. I know for a fact that there are decent smokes that can be had for roughly $60 a box. I would go with one of those, before I bought these.

It was like green tea yogurt, when what I really wanted was Home Made Strawberry Ice Cream. I hope that makes sense.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote