Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:51 AM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

2001 Punch Rare Corojo Rothschild Review

Pre-smoke comments:

A 4.5x50, heavily box pressed Rothschild with a medium, veiny texture, medium texture cap, and a firm bunch with a nice Colorado Maduro wrapper.
Setting was at a table in the indoor smoking lounge for a rare occasion, due to the outside temperature of 31 degrees and a decent wind, so wanted a slightly warmer environment.

Smoke comments:

Even burn with a conical coal, and flaky grey ash.
Perfect draw and a subtle, faint, but fragrant aroma, and no burn in the throat.
Flavor was of unequal balance with mustyness dominating the earthy and woody flavors, of ample richness and mild strength and body.
No real aftertaste, and no sweetness, bitterness, or saltiness but a medium burn on the tongue and light sharpness.

Summary Comments:

Overall, of agreeable but common character and mild body, but I would rate it a good smoke with a score of 82 out of 100.
A little lighter on the mustyness to be more balanced with the earth and wood, would have definitely helped my opinion and score.
Not that I dislike the musty taste I get from most 10+ year old cigars typically, in fact it has grown on me and I kinda enjoy it, but as more of an underlying taste than being the most prominent one.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:46 AM   #2
bipolar
Club Member

Gonna have to try this one. I'm a sucker for corojo.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:04 AM   #3
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolar View Post
Gonna have to try this one. I'm a sucker for corojo.
Honestly don't know if they are still being produced or not. Haven't looked into it.
I suspect that they are better when young

Eta: just looked and apparently they are still in production. Little surprised

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smbauerllc; 11-18-2021 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Every year punch comes out with a rare corojo, and it's a different vitola every year.
I think I split a box of these with some guys on the forums back 5 or 10 years ago... they were a long figurado.
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Every year punch comes out with a rare corojo, and it's a different vitola every year.
I think I split a box of these with some guys on the forums back 5 or 10 years ago... they were a long figurado.
Thanks for the info. Didn't know that or even that they were still in production.
I'm very lacking in knowledge of the nc world. Just so much to keep up with compared to cc's

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2021, 04:41 AM   #6
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbauerllc View Post
Thanks for the info. Didn't know that or even that they were still in production.
I'm very lacking in knowledge of the nc world. Just so much to keep up with compared to cc's
Ain't that the truth! There are new brands and facings every year. Between new blends, new shapes and new sizes, it's very difficult to not miss something no matter how diligent you are.

I smoked quite a few of these back when they first came out. I found them pleasant, just not enough to make a "regular spot in the rotation."

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Ž £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote