Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
matt fury

FSB Blind Review: XSS-5

Kind of a short review on this one, sorry... My notes "disappeared" and I'm kinda winging it.

XSS-5

Construction:
This is a short size cigar, about robusto sized, maybe a little thinner. Wrapper is a dark brown, not quite "chocolately", but more like rich leather in color. Construction looks to be very good, and it has what appears to be a very well done triple cap. Cutting doesn't happen as cleanly as I'd like, but the resulting cut is without blemish. Prelight draw is good, and reveals an uncommon taste. I don't have a word to describe it, but it is not average.

Smoke:
Lighting goes without issue. Ash burns like a whiter newsprint. Taste is a subdued rough burnt almond. As I smoke, I come to realize that the cigar is probably a bit dry, an idea reinforced by the wrapper, which starts to come apart halfway through. Despite this, the cigar burnt fairly well, requiring a bit of touchup, but went out a bit early at the end. I've been suspecting humidor problems lately, and this cigar only confirms that thought. Construction proved to be good otherwise, and provided for easy draws and lots of billowing smoke. Flavor remained pretty consistent throughout. Ash was fairly solid, but came off in the ashtray easy enough.

Conclusion:
Being that the cigar was a bit dry, my review probably isn't very accurate, so I apologize. That being said, I think there is definite potential to this one, and I'd like to know what it is so I can try it again. If I had to review my probably-dehumidified specimen, I would rate it somewhere around 84, but judging from the construction, I think it can do a lot better.

Thanks for reading!