Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 11-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
solomr2
Herf Meister

Portugal Wines on Vacation

I just got back from vacation in Portugal, and when I travel I like to sample the local fare, so I tried multiple red wines. I have to say one of the best surprises I had was the quality of good wines and the affordability of wines in restaurants. Here is a sampling of wines I had, all of which were between 20-25 Euros.

I’m no wine expert, but these were quite good to my untrained pallet and the price seemed like a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Can't recall trying any of those particular wines, Phil. That said, Portugal (along with Spain) remains one of my favourite 'hunting grounds'. In fact, I'm presently very much enjoying a bottle of 2016 Quinta dos Termos Vinhas Velhas Reserva, which partners with a roast of beef quite nicely. And any wine that's garnered a significant Decanter award usually ends up on my shopping list.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I will be in Portugal (Lisbon and Porto) and in Vigo Spain the first 10 days of the new year. I am planning to eat and drink locally. I do not understand the desire to eat at a McDonald's in a foreign country.

I have reservations at a 1 star in Vigo, a 1 star in Porto, a 1 star and a 2 star in Lisbon and am amazed at the prices for tasting menus.

Did you bring any wines back?

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:27 AM   #4
solomr2
Herf Meister

Portugal Wines on Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post

Did you bring any wines back?
Nope, drank them all locally. Many of the wines are not for export, and the selection in the duty free was average. But boy did we drink a lot of wine. We had two bottles a day most days, one at lunch or in a cafe, and one or more at dinner in some amazing restaurants.

The culinary experience is one of our biggest attractions when we vacation. We’re going to Spain in May, and I can’t wait for the tapas and wine there.

Last edited by solomr2; 12-15-2019 at 04:30 AM.
solomr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomr2 View Post
Nope, drank them all locally. Many of the wines are not for export, and the selection in the duty free was average. But boy did we drink a lot of wine. We had two bottles a day most days, one at lunch or in a cafe, and one or more at dinner in some amazing restaurants.

The culinary experience is one of our biggest attractions when we vacation. We’re going to Spain in May, and I can’t wait for the tapas and wine there.

where is Spain? I have been there several times. There is a great deal of food beyond tapas and pinxtos. Enjoy!

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:41 AM   #6
solomr2
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
where is Spain? I have been there several times. There is a great deal of food beyond tapas and pinxtos. Enjoy!

We fly into Madrid in early May. We’re booked for 3 nights each in Madrid, Seville, Granada and Barcelona.

I have a lot of research to do to get ready and develop our itinerary, but have been totally swamped with work and family matters lately.

Any suggestions of sites, restaurants, experiences and cigar matters are very much welcome. Thanks.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #7
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Phil, nice to see posts from you. These scream out to be made into a feature article.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote