Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 12-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Mincemeat made at home?

My kin like mincemeat pie during the holidays. Usually I get some premade and buff it up to our tastes. This time Pubix (yes I know but it is my name for it ) only got one box in and it is way sold out.

Looking to throw a homemade filling together but wanted to check if there were any recommendations from the cigar clan.

Leaning towards this one so far: https://www.thespruceeats.com/christ...-recipe-435069

J.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

My dad always made these, (along with pumpkin and pecan pies) I could never stand mince meat.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:58 AM   #3
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

I didn't care for it as a youngster either, I like it now. But it does make the one a year category though. Unlike the Pumpkin and Chocolate Pecan that I'm also doing.

I think three pies for four people should be enuf....

J.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:09 AM   #4
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That looks pretty damn good to me!

I love me some mincemeat! The old standby None Such is fine, but my wife has an old family recipe for green tomato mincemeat that is da bomb! Needs to age for at least a month, and green tomatoes can be hard to find, but totally worth the effort.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:19 AM   #5
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

It did turn out pretty good. Didn't find dried currents so used blueberries. Didn't find suet or lard so I used Crisco and it was only about 36 hours at rest before baking.

Still it was good, not the familiar mincemeat but better than none at all.

...and yeah, I may ask for that green tommy toe recipe at some point. I love that concept.

Best,
J
Old 12-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I found Walker's (Scottish company famous for their shortbread) Spiced Orange and Cranberry Mince Tarts at World Market. Hory shet do I wish I'd bought more than one box! So the next time I make mincemeat it will certainly incorporate generous quantities of candied orange peel and sweetened dried cranberries.

Prolly need a few test batches, you know, to get the flavors right.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:18 AM   #7
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Oh, man, I wish that I had seen this. My wife and I created a mincemeat recipe that is absolutely mind blowing and we make it in 5 pound batches. Freeze it in one pound lots for the next season.

Granny smith apples, dried cranberries and raisins, chuck roast that was roasted rather than boiled, some cider, beef broth from cooking, pecan pieces, the standard spices, brown sugar and (maybe) molasses.

This is intensely flavorful, it is big and meaty in texture, and creates a nice, meaty pie. It's so thick and heavy that it won't actually freeze, you preserve it by putting it into the freezer and it will remain so damned cold that it can't spoil. The solids can freeze but you still wind up with a bit of liquid separating it.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #8
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

I'll be asking for more info on that one too Brian, I just need to get a freezer and other stuff out of the PODS.

I like the original concept rather than the meat free. I can't be mincemeat without it technically.

Best,
J