Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #1
kevie49

UK Supermarket Cigars: Review 1 - Villiger Export Maduro

With the continued decline in tobacconist shops, I was recently asked by somebody what the over the counter cigars in the UK were like.

I have been buying my cigars online for a while now, but I thought that it may be worth my while trying out some of those available over the counter in the UK. Firstly it's worth pointing out that only budget cigars are available over the counter in the UK and by law they must be out of sight so finding out what shops have can be a problem at times. Your best chance of getting a decent cigar (other than a dedicated tobacconist) is to search out independent whisky shops as these can through up a surprising array of decent cigars (albeit in very limited quantities).

The golden rule is ask and if they say they don't know ask another sales rep. This happened with these cigars, I purchased them in Asda (UK branch of Wallmart) and the assistant started by saying that they didn't have any, until I pointed out that they were on the tobacco price list (not many shops have these). She was still adamant that they didn't stock such a cigar so I asked for another assistant who went straight to the drawer and handed me a pack.

As I said, these were bought from Asda, at the time of purchasing a pack of 5 cost me £12.40.

Having read the tasting notes on these with promises of coffee, dark chocolate, nuttiness and wood this seemed to be right up my street. Upon opening these were square shaped, machine rolled cigars. These were about 4" in length and the ring gauge at the widest parts was about 37-38.

A lovely dark wrapper but a bit light on the pre light nose, no particular scent other than just a bit of tobacco, but this wasn't strong.

The burn was even and the ash held together well throughout the first third: however I can't comment on the final two thirds as I didn't get that far. This tasted harsh. Sadly I got a bit of earthiness but it was simply harsh tobacco. None of the promised flavours came through and I could feel it affecting my throat after the first third I decided not to persevere.

OK, I'm aware that this wasn't ever going to compare to a high priced hand rolled cigar, and if I'm being honest I didn't believe that I would get all of the tastes promised. However I did expect it to be palatable and smokeable, but it wasn't. This was a shame as I wanted to like these, but I simply had no desire to carry on or even try another. I gave the remaining 4 away so there will not be any follow up thoughts or another review.
kevie49 is offline   Reply With Quote