Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
mealstrom
Herf Meister

JR Alt to Ashton 898

Well I took the chance and ordered the alts. (I figured for $25 it wouldn't be too much of a loss if I didn't like it.) For those who've tried JR Alts before this probably won't be a surprise, so this is mostly for the other newbies I guess. Hope it's helpful!

JR Alt to Ashton 898
Ring Gauge: 52
Length: 6.5
Body: Medium
Filler: Varied
Wrapper: Varied
Binder: Varied
Shape: Parejo

1=TERRIBLE 2=SUBPAR 3=AVERAGE 4=GREAT 5=AMAZING
Appearance: 3
Taste: 2
Draw: 3
Ash: 3
Smoke: 2
Overall Experience: 2
TOTAL SCORE: 15 (of 30)

You know, this cigar would probably have rated higher if it wasn't advertised as an alt to the Ashton 898. I know they say that their alts aren't exact matches, just similar smokes - but this wasn't even close.

It was an average looking cigar the punched easily, but the prelight draw had an odd taste to it. It lit easily and burned well, but it had a very pungent sweet taste that was too sticky tasting for me. (Sorry, that's the best adjective I could think of for the taste) The smoke wasn't bad, but again had that odd taste. I think they were trying to copy the sweetness of the Connecticut Broadleaf that Ashton uses, but it just didn't work out.

It wasn't a terrible cigar - if I had tasted it without comparing it to the Ashton I might have rated it a bit higher. But overall it just was not what I was expecting it to be. It definitely tasted like a cheap imitation. I kept feeling like I had picked it up at a gas station.

They should have just started their own line instead of calling them alts.

Hope you guys like the review. I hope it's helpful.

Rich
mealstrom is offline   Reply With Quote