Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 04-24-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
aaronb

Muddy Waters Documentary

Anyone catch the Muddy Waters documentary now showing on PBS? It is showing as part of the American Masters series. I saw only the last half hour or so (it is an hour show), but it was pretty good. Interviews with a lot of people who played in his band, his family, wives and girlfriends, and some of the folks who were influenced by him (a long list, to be sure) like Keith Richards. One thing is for sure, the man loved his ladies!

One hell of a blues man, too. I've got to beef up my blues collection.
aaronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:42 PM   #2
mannish
Herf God

heck yeah I saw it, Muddy is the King, hence my handle. There is none better and never will be. I got more Muddy CDs than any other artist by far. I love the 19 Years Old solo. He is the reason I play guitar. I sat on his porch at Stovalls Plantation in the rain and played my guitar. That was before the HOB 'borrowed' it, they returned it now it's at the train depot/blues musuem
in Clarksdale. We plan on going to Clarksdale in August, the Sunflower Festival is a Muddy Waters tribute.

What really kills me is people like Mudd, Albert King, BB, T-Bone, Lightnin ..etc all the masters played the same 'signature'' licks in almost all their tunes still sounded good.
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 12:55 PM   #3
aaronb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannish
What really kills me is people like Mudd, Albert King, BB, T-Bone, Lightnin ..etc all the masters played the same 'signature'' licks in almost all their tunes still sounded good.
Seems to me those might be the same licks borrowed by some young Englishmen who became superstars because if it. Also a lot richer than any of the originals like Muddy. Hopefully the old blues guys were able to cash in a little.

Nothing against Englishmen or those bands. Hell, I love my Rolling Stones as much as the next guy. But it seems a lot of the music that made bands like the Stones, Led Zepplin, etc. multimillionares was pretty much just rehashed blues standards that were done by the old-timers like Muddy Waters for years. Just my
aaronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 01:18 PM   #4
Mysterblues
Club Member

Damn!! How come no one told me??!!
Mysterblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 04:05 PM   #5
Montegrl
Club Member

Darn, I missed it. That kinda stuff tends to rerun though.
..."I dont want, to be your slave....I just wanna make love to you , love to you.." Oh yea.
Montegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 05:32 AM   #6
mannish
Herf God

Actually Robert Johnson was the first 'known' person to cop/rip off the licks of others He had very few original ideas he just copied thier licks put new lyrics to 'em.

The older blues masters cop'd each other like crazy I think it's a blues thing.
It never bothered me that when the blues got whitewashed that the kids got more money as long as they gave credit to the original(ie royalties). Led Zep of course got into trouble for ripping off without giving the credit. ZZ Top rippin John Lee got into trouble also. I visisted Jerry McCain he has a gold record on his wall from the T-Birds version of Tuff Enuff he wasn't complaining at all. He did say he does a lot better version

Look at how many wannabes (we are ALL wannabes I wannabe at home, I wannabe laid...etc ) cop'd Stevie who cop'd Albert who cop'd Blind Lemon Jefferson...etc

Some of the blues guys did better BECAUSE of the white-washing and some just didn't do well. They got screwed out of royalties becuase they were ignorant of the industry. It's not only blues but lots of early musicians did not have the bidness sense to keep their copyrights.

I had the pleasure/honor of playing a few minutes with Eugene Powell (aka Sonny Boy Nelson) in Clarksdale, he was wonderful the real deal. He died broke in a state owned nursing home. I'll never forget commenting on how much I liked his guitar, an old Kalamazoo like I just recently bought. His daughter told me that he got booked to play a festival in Europe, but had no guitar. They sent him a guitar then he found out that you had to fly to get to Europe so he said he ain't coming. They said fine and let him keep the guitar. I'm ramblin but ...
Old 04-25-2003, 07:33 AM   #7
mannish
Herf God

FYI: The DVD can be had

http://www.spun.com/movies/product-d...jsp?id=2211185

on VHS

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cg...1877&meta_id=3
Old 04-25-2003, 08:18 PM   #8
JAlexander

I caught the last 15 minutes or so of it... RIGHT ON!

My favorite Bluesman, though, is B.B. King... to be honest, many of the bluesmen didn't really cash in the way they should have. At least B.B. has turned that around in the last 10 or 15 years. B.B. lives here in Las Vegas and I've got to handle his gear about 5 or 6 times in my 10 year skycap career. Everyone wants to handle him, because he certainly remembers where he came from and pays it forward to those in his service! Truly a CLASS ACT!

Take care!
James