Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 01-24-2003, 10:07 AM   #51
Mysterblues
Club Member

hmmm Paul Sixe, I will seek him out. Never heard
Mysterblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:25 AM   #52
mannish
Herf God

I don't think Paul Size is as good on record as he was that day or the Red Devils in general. The singer harp player, Lester Butler has left us. Mick Jagger did a blues disc with the RD that never got released. Anson Fund. first told me about Paul Size, Anson was very impressed, Size was young. Anyway Paul Size still plays but what I have heard is not what I saw/heard that day. He did a disc with Johnny Moller (part of the Texas scene) called 'Return of The Funky Worm" that was funky and not the same blues covers. It's not full of killer guitar but killer funky/unpredictable music IMHO....

The Red Devils 'Live At The King King" I think is the only CD they released. Lester Butler put out one solo called '13' before he died. Alex Shultz (former Mighty Flyer) played guitar on it , a very good CD.

Mick Jagger hired the Red Devils to play his birthday party If I remember correctly, they were on fire during that times but touring & the associated evils got to them.

a link for Funky Worm:

http://bluelark.home.att.net/dbs-moe...ize.htm#Tracks
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 12:05 PM   #53
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

That's what I mean--playing rhythm and lead at the same time may be easy in reality, but I don't know. It just looks impressive to someone who can't play and also, sees almost everyone else using 3 guitarists to achieve what 1 Jimi could do alone or 2 guitarists to get the same music as 1 Stevie.

Coco Montoya is impressive. Do I notice correctly: he plays a left-handed, but a guitar strung for a right-handed person? he plays "up-side-down"?

There was another guy named Eric something that looked just like Jimi. He got fairly popular in the mid-80s, was on Arsenio, and played up-side-down like CoCo, but I don't know what happened to him. The last time I saw him he looked like he was trying to be just like Jimi all the way down to O D-ing. That was about 1995 or so.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:14 PM   #54
mannish
Herf God

I always thought ZZ Top (way back then not their MTV days) made a helluva lot of music for a trio. Great live show before they went 'Vegas'
mannish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:16 PM   #55
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

A lot of music for 3 people is an understatement. I still look for hidden musicians when I see them, but it is all them. Amazing.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:15 PM   #56
Injun Joe

I located my SRV/WC Clark Austin City Limits video and gave it another look. Lou Ann Barton sang background vocals on one song. Angela Strehli sang a number by herself.

I could probably take Jr. Brown a little more seriously if he'd take off that damn hat that looks like a taco. He is good though.
Injun Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:08 AM   #57
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

And like Mannish said--Anson Funderburgh.

He is about the most low-key, understated guitarist I've seen, and a damn nice person to chat with-not pretentious at all. There is a good picture of him and Stevie together on the wall of a local place.

He is first-rate but probably over-looked because his style is low-key and he seems to prefer that Sam Myers get all the attention. He seems like a real good guy.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:37 AM   #58
Mysterblues
Club Member

I just got a bootleg of SRV with Lou Ann singing in the days of old.!Very interesting to hear! Unfortunately it's a cassette and I can't make cd copies of it.
Mysterblues is offline   Reply With Quote