Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 01-23-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
Cheakamus
Owner Emeritus
Club Member

Ogg or mp3?

Any ogg users on the group? Personally I've started re-ripping all of my CDs to ogg to replace my mp3 collection. To me it sounds better and the fact that it's patent and royalty free is good.

Scumbag #666
---
"Gosh I am god betting major publication of to get cigar news out " - Adminonymous
Cheakamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:12 PM   #2
mrdiver
Herf Meister

I had eggs for breakfast!
mrdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 05:12 PM   #3
JoeyBogus
Club Member

Go to http://www.vorbis.com/ to get the skinny on OGG.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:27 PM   #4
SkullSucker
CW Owner Emeritus, Just some guy...
Herf Meister

I too agree ogg sounds better just not as playable in devices other than my computer. any word on when it ogg might hit more main stream devices like ipaq's/pda's and cd players?
We wanna be free! We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. We wanna be free to ride. We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man! ... And we wanna get loaded. And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we are gonna do. We are gonna have a good time... We are gonna have a party.
SkullSucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:21 AM   #5
Renaissance Man
Owner Emeritus
Herf God

My current rotation: Bolivars (RC, PC, BBF, CE and Corona JR), Punch Punch, El Original Claro Corona and Lancero, Davidoff Grand Cru #1, VR Famoso, Upmann #2, and R&J Churchill.
Renaissance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:53 AM   #6
stereoaction
Starting Member

the software is patend free. A song that is copywrited (and yes I mean copywrited and not copywritten, my attorney corrects me all the time) is covered no matter what the format or media.
stereoaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 09:42 AM   #7
Cheakamus
Owner Emeritus
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoaction
the software is patend free. A song that is copywrited (and yes I mean copywrited and not copywritten, my attorney corrects me all the time) is covered no matter what the format or media.
Yes, the material is copyrighted, but under fair use I can rip my CD's to a digital format to listen to on my computer or in my car. It's the redistribution of it that is breaking the copyright.

Scumbag #666
---
"Gosh I am god betting major publication of to get cigar news out " - Adminonymous
Old 01-24-2003, 09:43 AM   #8
Mysterblues
Club Member

hmmm... never heard of 0gg.........
Mysterblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:11 AM   #9
stereoaction
Starting Member

can you not do that legally with MP3
stereoaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 12:47 PM   #10
Cheakamus
Owner Emeritus
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoaction
can you not do that legally with MP3
Absolutely, assuming you've paid Fraunhoffer for the right to use the MP3 codec, which doesn't even sound as good as ogg vorbis any more.

I bought the Fraunhoffer encoder about five or six years ago for $200 and encoded a bunch of CDs using it. At the time most tools were implementing the MP3 codec illegally, so I bought the real thing in order to stay legal. Soon after Fraunhoffer started threatening various users of mp3 with legal action for using the mp3 format without paying them royalties. It occurred to me then that something as important as a media format should be patent free. Then I came across the Vorbis project and found that they thought the same thing, and they developed exactly what is necessary to prevent patents from inhibiting digital media: the ogg vorbis format.

Most people are not aware that these conditions exist. They know about mp3 and they know that their OS came with an mp3 encoder (the price of the license is included in the price of the OS - not $200 any more, but still a part of it), so to them there is no issue and no apparent need for ogg. It's taken for granted that these things are available. But what if someone could successfully claim a patent on the http protocol and the html format? The WWW would essentially cease to exist in the form it is in now.

As the world of online communications becomes a more critical aspect of modern life it is important that the means of communicating information remain free and open. Mp3 is not free and open. Ogg is.

BTW, the same thing has happened with image formats with the whole development of the PNG format to replace GIF. GIF is a patent encumbered media format. PNG is not.

Cheers!

Scumbag #666
---