Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2014, 03:46 AM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

AJF New World

I have been meaning to jot down a quick review of this cigar for a little while now, but been too busy smoking them to do so! The New World is the latest offering from the A.J. Fernandez family, introduced at this year's IPCPR Trade Show. Here is the company "blurb" on the cigar:
The New World Cigar is very special to A.J.’s heart as it is the first cigar he has created together with his father, Ismael Fernandez. Named in honor of the discovery of tobacco by the Christopher Columbus expedition in 1492, New World is a medium to full bodied cigar with an amazing aroma. Smokers of New World will experience elements of sweetness, spiciness in a very balanced and refined cigar. A.J. Fernandez is looking for New World to be a first class cigar that can be a daily source of enjoyment.

I tried my first New World while visiting Mrdiver and others a few weeks ago in the Tampa area, it immediately caught my attention. My local B&M just recently started stocking these and they have quickly become a crowd favorite. So with that being said, here is my short take on this cigar....
The Navegante is the vitola which I am currently smoking, 5 1/2 x 55 box pressed. This is a Nicaraguan puro with the wrapper being a Dark Nicaraguan, the binder is Jalapa, and the filler is a blend of Viso Ometepe, Condega Ligero, Esteli-Finca Soledad Ligero. Overall the cigar has a somewhat rustic appearance with some slight mottling of color, sort of a leathery look as well as feel. The cap seems to be well applied and cuts cleanly. Upon taking that first draw I get that "Aaaaaahhhhh" feeling, realizing right away that this cigar has that familiar "A.J. profile" which I enjoy so much. There is that peppery spice that I like, but not so much to be overwhelming. There is also some sweetness in the background...a hint of dark chocolate. I would judge the initial strength of this cigar to be medium, with the flavor and body to be a strong medium plus. It gives me a nice nose tingle as the smoke volume is very generous. As I make my way thru this cigar it is definitely an enjoyable experience. Somewhat complex in the sense that it gives me several different takes from start to finish. The spice is up front at the start, with a sweeter taste taking over in the second third with a little earthiness popping in and out from time to time. The spice returns to the forefront in the last third, pushing that strength needle closer to full, but without becoming bitter. Both the draw and the burn on this cigar have been excellent from beginning to end.
In summary, I would say that A.J. has yet another winner here IMO. A delicious cigar which holds my attention throughout. I will definitely be smoking these on a regular basis. The bonus to all of this....this cigar retails for about $6.00. If you are a fan of the AJF flavor profile I would highly recommend you try one of these, I really think you would enjoy it.