Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
Bernie*C

The Future of Pipe Smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ŽShadow
Our pipe/pipe tobacco sales have increased in the last few years. Seeing a lot of young guys just starting out with a pipe in the last year or two. When that article first came out it did look like pipe smoking was dying out. Fortunately that doesn't seem to be the case now.
As you all probably have read, yesterday was to be the mark-up of proposed legislation that would raise federal tobacco excise taxes through the roof. It was delayed until today, July 18, 2007. Hardest hit in the non-cigarette excise tax rise are cigars with the potential for a 20K% increase in the federal excise tax, up to $10.00 per cigar and roll-your-own tobacco, with a proposed increase from $1.10 per pound to $8.93 per pound. Pipe tobacco has a proposed increase that is far more manageable, but still high: from $1.10 per pound to $2.81 per pound.
http://www.senate.gov/~finance/sitep...1307%20JCT.pdf

There's little doubt in my mind that if this legislation passes, two things will occur rather simultaneously: (1) Cigarette smokers will turn to finer cut straight burley and Virgina pipe tobaccos for rolling their cigarettes (2) The Fed will merge all pipe tobacco into the higher taxed rate.

In the short run, however, if this legislation passes, we may see more cigar smokers begin smoking a pipe.

I wonder if we'll start to see the guys hanging out on the corner tamping their Dunhills?

Truthfully, I currently pay about $28.00 for a pound of MClelland Red Cake. With the proposed increase, I'd pay $29.71, still less than the retail from some retailers, today. It wouldn't change my buying regimen at all, but I think the prospect for the future is that the tax increase would soon parallel that of roll-your-own tobacco.

edit for spelling
Bernie*C is offline   Reply With Quote