Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

IPCPR Review: La Mission du L'Atelier

The Specs:
Wrapper- San Andres
Filler- Nicaraguan w/Sancti Spiritus leaf
Binder-???
Origin- My Father Factory, Estili, Nicaragua
Size- "1989 Toro" 5.6x54

Before starting with my observations on this cigar let me state that I have been looking forward to reviewing this cigar ever since first sampling one at the trade show. On Saturday of the show we had been making the rounds all day, sampling cigars as we went. After leaving the convention center my friends and I went uptown to find something to eat and while waiting for a table we stepped next door and decided to light up another cigar. Keeping in mind that this would be my 8th(?) cigar of the day, I was trying to decide what to sample next and hopefully be able to enjoy in spite of my taste buds being all shot to hell. I picked out the La Mission and lit 'er up........it immediately caught my attention and caused me to turn to my friends and simply say "Wow, this is really good".
......cutting to the present, I finally got my hands on some more, and here's what I've found.

This is a nice looking cigar. A dark chocolate brown wrapper, a soft box press with a pigtail cap.

The pre-light aroma is one of sweet wet hay, a fragrant barnyard scent. I suppose I could just pinch the pigtail off, but instead go for the v-cut.
As I light the foot I get a mixture spicy black & red pepper balanced with a background of espresso. The initial flavors and strength out of the gate are on the full side....bringing a smile to my face. The first inch remains pretty constant while producing a thick volume of smoke and a very nice nose tingle.

The second inch brings a shift in flavors as the pepper and spice subside a bit and morphs into more of a honey & black molasses profile. The ash is very firm, and very light grey/white in color. The burn, while wavering ever so slightly, quickly corrects itself with no need for any touch-ups to this point.

The third inch shifts gears again, smoothly transitioning to a nutty, smoked almonds thang. The molasses is still there, with some cocoa and caramel showing up to join the show. So far this has been a very smooth, complex smoke.....keeping me guessing as to what flavors may yet appear.

The fourth inch finds yet another shift. The pepper and spice return in a subtle way while an earthiness finds it's way to the stage, complimented and balanced very nicely by a hearty dose of mocha. While the flavors to this point have been quite intricate IMO, the body has remained pretty constant throughout, med/full to full, with a rich creamy smoke. The strength, I would classify as med/full.

The fifth and final segment continues more of the same from the previous inch......remaining very smooth to the end, with a nice balance of pepper and mocha, never turning harsh.

Conclusion:
The La Mission suits my flavor/strength preference to a "T".
As stated at the beginning, I was looking forward to revisiting this cigar, and hoping the second time around would live up to it's debut.....it did.
I would consider this to be a rich, complex cigar, one that held my attention till the very end. The L'Atelier line is a Pete Johnson project, so if you like his other blends I believe you will certainly like this offering.
Looking back, my five favorites from the 2015 IPCPR would be:
1. La Mission du L'Atelier
2. Southern Draw Kudzu
3. Sindicato Maduro
4. A.J. Fernandez Enclave
5. E.P. Carillo Seleccion Oscuro

.......and the Asylum33 would most likely be in there somewhere as well, but waiting to try another sample.