Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 04-02-2019, 06:25 AM   #441
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Six months ago me and five other guys brewed a Flanders red all using the same yeasts and ingredients. Then we put it all in a 30 gal wooden whisky barrel that a local brewery gave us after they didn’t like the results of their aging project. Needless to say it was a risk as we didn’t know WHY they drain poured the beer as we didn’t get to taste it so we were flying blind. What we did know is that the previous beer in there was a part of thei sour aging program. We just met up this past weekend to fill our kegs and sample the beer for the first time. It’s amazing! Just a bit tart not like JesterKing sours whit a hint of whiskey and oak on the finish. Clear copper red color. I will post a picture once it is done carbonating.

The group ended up filling the barrel back up as soon as we drained it with a Saison. And the second barrel we have will age another six months for a grand total of a year in there...it’s filled with a Blonde Ale. I can only hope that the results from barrel #2 are just as good or even better!!
mike s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #442
SmoKerch
Herf God

Wow, that sounds awesome!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #443
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Pliney the elder clone I brewed awhile back. Striking clear for over one pound of hops.

[/url]

Old 05-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #444
SmoKerch
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike s View Post
Pliney the elder clone I brewed awhile back. Striking clear for over one pound of hops.

[/url]

Wow, that looks delicious.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:37 AM   #445
mike s
Contributing Editor
Club Member

So the barrel aging sour project is working well! We have two barrels that are emptied and refilled the same day every year but spread roughly six months apart. Due to covid this beer aged in the Soured whiskey barrel an additional 3 months. It’s essentially a sour saison. Tart but not overbearing and really refreshing with hints of oak and a little whiskey on the backside. A Braggot Honey Mead went in. Angels share is about five gallons so you have to make sure to fill it all the way to the bunghole...

Coming out of barrel two soon is a Kevik Stout

Saison coming out

Braggot going in