Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Herf's Up!!

Herf's Up!! A room dedicated to the announcement and discussion of herfs.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:18 AM   #1
Brian D.

Grand Opening Fitzgerald's Cigar & Billiards (N. Ky.) Ju

Just got a heads-up from Gerry, the owner of Cosmo's in Covington Ky., that his new cigar bar next door will be having its grand opening Thursday June 14th from 7 to 9pm. Appetizers, cheap drinks and perhaps a few free cigars (?) are among the offerings.

Covington's Main Strausse district is directly across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. Cosmo's/Fitzgerald's is at 604 Main Street. About a dozen other bars and restaurants are within easy walking distance.
Brian D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Herfin Bigdog
Herf Meister

SWEET!

Good Luck to Gerry!

To me, a cigar is more than a good smoke; it is a way of life. I love them! And it killed George Burns at 100, so don't give me any crap about health! -- Bert Sugar, Sports Writer
Herfin Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
pablocruze
Banned

Got my daughter tonight and tomarrow, but I'll be checking it out come the weekend. Thanks for the heads up Brian
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
Brian D.

Here's the lowdown from last night, good and bad.

Got there at 7pm, they had some nice free appetizers--ribs, shrimp, fruit and veggies. Gerry gave me an Acid Liquid to smoke. He asked for my opinion and feedback. I told him that those have a relatively small but ardent following, mostly from the younger crowd. (They aren't my cup of tea but I smoke about one a year.)

The humidor is finished but he was just stocking it last night, not much to choose from. Think I saw about three boxes in there, Fuentes and something else. Also, the bar is small and not fully operational yet, if you want something they don't have somebody's got run next door to fetch it. Not even a cash register in there yet, they were working from a till behind the bar. Little sparse on furniture in there as well, although what they have is nice stuff.

Two fortyish guys came in a bit later and got one stogie each. Don't think they cared for the technodisco music (well who does? ) so they went to the patio out back and lit up. They turned out to be one-a-month guys, nothing wrong with that but you sure couldn't talk cigars with 'em much. Up to that point I'd been the only ceegardude in the place, none of the youngsters noshing up front wanted anything but their cigarettes. And that didn't really change all night, much to my chagrin.

Later, I saw that one of the off-duty bartenders was carrying around an Acid, never lighting it up. Had to go almost to "triple dog dare" to get him to indulge, because by then I was the only herfer and that's no fun. Hope he develops into something of an aficianado, seems to work hard and mix well with the customers.

Overall this new place gets a 'one thumb kinda up' rating, although I'd imagine things will smooth out and get better. Cosmo's next door, after all, has been sailing along very successfully for quite a spell now. No reason to think Gerry won't iron out the rough spots in Fitzgerald's.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
Tommy boy
Banned

Currently in Chicago. I'll visit upon my return
Tommy boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Stogie-man

I hope you local guys enjoy it and if I'm in the KY area, I'll have to stop by and check it out........
Old 06-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
Tommy boy
Banned

HELL YES! I BUY DA DRINKS!
Tommy boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:27 AM   #8
Brian D.

TB and others, keep in mind that at present they are just opening Fitzgerald's on Friday and Saturday night. A few of the local herfin' honchos getting the word around might lead to this changing of course.