Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
sucol
Club Member

Samuel Gawith Blends - Black XX "Rope"

Packed in a rectangular tin, it is a long, jet-black "rope" bent around inside the tin. It looks like a dog poop. There was also a small detached section in the tin I purchased. I broke this section up, rubbed it out, and proceeded to (try) to smoke it.

First off, I had long wanted to try this. It is a pipe tobacco being sold in the same form for over two centuries. It was originally used both as a chew and as pipe tobacco. When rubbed out it does not break apart like a sliced flake. It is the actual tobacco leaf unsliced, so when rubbed out it becomes a (very rough) broad cut leaf tobacco.

A strange casing is added to this tobacco which I can in no way identify. The tin aroma is STRONG - and the taste even stronger. I was unable to make it through one bowl - the nicotine or casking or both is overpowering! So I felt I was out $11 on one-half bowl of tobacco ... but I was wrong!

As the "rope" was still intact - I had smoked only the small plug section also included in the tin - I put the "rope" to good use. We have two new Lab puppies, and I was able to use the "rope" as a fake dog turd on the coach, sending my wife into a frenzy. I later used it on my daughter's bed and on the living room carpet at my mother-in-law's to like humorous (for me, anyway) and dramatic effect. I am willing to lend it to any CW member who needs to employ it in like fashion.

In closing - a terrible tobacco, but a very realistic and useful fake dog turd!
Old 04-29-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
LabRatGDI
Herf God

The first true dog rocket of the pipe tobacco world, eh?
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
LabRatGDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:25 AM   #3
Ted
Club Member

Seems like most people like it or are overwhelmed by it.

LINK

As for me ... I generally stay away from ingesting things with multiple X's or skulls on the label.
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:31 AM   #4
LabRatGDI
Herf God

This review on there cracked me up:

Black XX Rope - I really wanted to like this, I even had it shipped to me 2 day express. My first impressions of this was, "Wow. Look at the blackend dog crap, coiled up in the can. Despite that first impression it did look yummy to me.

Uh...despite the fact that it looked like a tin of coiled up dog crap it still looked yummy to him?
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. -- Benjamin Franklin
Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
sucol
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatGDI
This review on there cracked me up:

Black XX Rope - I really wanted to like this, I even had it shipped to me 2 day express. My first impressions of this was, "Wow. Look at the blackend dog crap, coiled up in the can. Despite that first impression it did look yummy to me.

Uh...despite the fact that it looked like a tin of coiled up dog crap it still looked yummy to him?
Perhaps his culinary experience exceeds our own ...
Old 04-29-2007, 07:33 AM   #6
LabRatGDI
Herf God

Well if that's the case, he needs to come over to my house...I have an absolute smorgasboard for him in my backyard right now.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:33 AM   #7
sucol
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRatGDI
Well if that's the case, he needs to come over to my house...I have an absolute smorgasboard for him in my backyard right now.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
Fishin Phil
Herf God

Hmmmmm, I was thinking of including some of the Brown Rope in my next order, but I am now having second thoughts...
Old 05-04-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
Fishin Phil
Herf God

Out of the goodness of his heart (or because he knows I'll smoke damn near anything) Sucol sent the rope remnant to me.

When the package arrived yesterday, I popped the tin right away. My wife was looking over my shoulder and said: "Oh great! Now your funny friends at CW are sending you dog shit in a tin!"

I will try to work up the nerve to cut a slice and smoke it next week. I will report back if I survive.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:19 AM   #10
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Betcha that review drinks civet coffee, too.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote