Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:32 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Major Tax plans and restrictions

Check out THIS POST down in the Cigar Rights of America forum. The PCA (née IPCPR, née RTDA) details a sweeping tax plan being proposed in Washington. The few of us here need to talk about this, communicate this within and without the cigar community.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
Gene
Club Member

I didn't know exactly where to post this, so I guess this is as good a thread as any other. As if I expected any thing different:

Quote:
Senator Schumer (senator@schumer.senate.gov)
To:you Details

Dear Mr. Borowski:

Thank you for writing to express your concern for the final rule from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) affecting the cigar industry. I agree that helping small businesses thrive positively affects our economy, but we must prevent tobacco from reaching minors.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, smoking is the leading cause of preventable deaths and is responsible for nearly 480,000 each year, including 41,000 deaths from secondhand smoke. These are alarming facts but, even more shocking, are statistics regarding the use of tobacco by minors. The American Lung Association states that every day 2,500 children under eighteen try their first cigarette and 400 of them will become daily smokers. I believe that these rates are far too high and that regulation by the FDA is a necessary step towards decreasing the use of tobacco across the country.

S. 9, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2019, was introduced by Senator Marco Rubio on January 3, 2019. This bill would amend the Food and Drug Administration jurisdiction over some tobacco products to protect small businesses and jobs. This bill is currently being reviewed by the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee and I will closely monitor it as its makes its way through the Senate.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please keep in touch with your thoughts and opinions.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer

United States Senator

Please do not respond to this email. To send another message please visit my website at https://www.schumer.senate.gov/contact/email-chuck . Thank you.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote