Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-16-2003, 04:28 PM   #1
sevenmag
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

My armoirador. Questions answered.

A couple of guys on the board here asked me about my armoirador conversion in a thread in the smokin post so I'm gonna answer them here in the right forum.

I've actually had this on here before but I've made some minor changes since then, but I haven't updated the pics since then. You really couldn't tell by new pictures anyway.

It started out life as a depression era chifrobe (sp?) that was my grandmother's. My father had it in his barn for years until I decided to take a shot at converting it.
It was suffering from neglect and really needed a ton of work.

I replaced the side panels with new wood and added a neat little piece of trim work I found with leaves on it that look like tobacco leaves. I sandwiched two layers of blue foam board between the back, sides, top and bottom to help with temp stability. On the inside of the cabinet, I used exterior ¼ inch plywood and sealed it to keep the humidity form working it over and to make it as odorless as possible. I made the shelves out of Spanish cedar I got for free from a door manufacturer here. They gave me a big pile of scrap that was perfect length and width, just thicker than I would have liked. But for free, I ain't complaining.

When I took these pictures I was using five large credos hanging from the bottom of the shelves and one on the bottom. It was a struggle to keep the humidity up to 65%. Especially when the A/C or heat is running all the time and really drying out the air.

I've since made the shelves slatted, and put an old vaporizer I got from a thrift store in the small compartment on the right side. I made a duct through the divider wall and the vaporizer blows in from the top right. It does a good job, and the humidity is fine now but it's just a patch work job at best. I'm planning on adding a good active humidifier but it'll be a while.

As far as keeping the seal around the door, that was easy. I just used weather stripping from Lowes. It could be better but it's not bad at all.

Anyhoo, here's some pics before and after.

Before and after pics
sevenmag is offline   Reply With Quote