Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 08-31-2004, 03:58 PM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Black Pearl Gran Robusto

"User Friendly"

Black Pearl Gran Robusto from the Dominican Republic
Size: 5.25 inches by 52 ring gauge

As part of an Air-Mail assault delivered to my doorstep by Eugene (CW's hopelessly unselfish crossbow), this Black Pearl Gran Robusto stood out as something of a dark-horse.

Concocted from 100% Cuban-seed Corojo ligero Dominican filler and wrapped in an Oscuro Connecticut Broadleaf, the Gran Robusto was just slightly oversized by Cuban standards.

The Black Pearl certainly lived up to its name in a visual sense, its fairly matte 'full-roasted' extremely dark brown capa displaying moderately pronounced longitudinal inky veins as well as rosewood highlights.

The cigar felt to be medium-firm in resilience, and exuded a distinctive sugary sweet and spice cupboard-like pre-light aroma along with mocha nuances and hints of rich soil.

However, once afire, the Gran Robusto readily released thickly pungent scents of molasses-soaked old leather garnished with cayenne turning to embers in a fruitwood bonfire.

The smoothly surfaced grey-white ash also displayed a somewhat surprising consistency given my original assessment of the cigar's degree of firmness, being quite flaky and more than willing to drop at a moment's notice. Nonetheless, the Black Pearl burned uneventfully, if at a marginally faster pace than I'm used to.

More surprises were in store on the palate, where a very rounded and mellow interpretation of that sugary sweetness noted earlier coated underlying tastes of expresso and dark chocolate infused with ginger and Malabar pepper earthiness, while flashes of fresh cedar came and went.

And there the flavour spectrum remained, in a medium-bodied manner, throughout the entire session. Despite this apparent lack of progression, the Dominican was very likeable and balanced, not a single rough edge detracting from its pleasant demeanour.

The Black Pearl Gran Robusto strikes me as an exceptionally 'user-friendly' cigar that doesn't demand a great degree of attention in terms of either technical or contemplative attention. It makes for a perfect casual smoking interlude.

Thank you Gene for widening my horizons ever more.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:23 PM   #2
rdk

Great review Doug. I too enjoy this cigar whenever I come in from the darkness.
rdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:58 AM   #3
crossbow
Club Member

Jazznut

Anytime - You are very much welcome
crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 03:37 AM   #4
solomr2
Herf Meister

Old 09-01-2004, 05:02 AM   #5
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

I love reading your reviews.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:49 AM   #6
Mr.Mean
Herf Meister

My favorite non Cuban cigar

Malabar pepper........you made that up
Old 09-01-2004, 02:46 PM   #7
mark5
Club Member

Great review Doug just got a box of those they need a little rest in the coolerdor first one ROTT was a little wet still.

If you have'nt tried the Don linos africa duma's yet deffinatly try that one
after a month in the humi these have turned into a great cigar but once again ROTT they burned poorly. These already come withh 4 1/2 years of age on them not sure what kind of age the black pearl has.

ENJOY THE RIDE!
mark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:20 PM   #8
Ironman
Club Member

Just finished my first Black Pearl tonight, and was trying to sum up this cigar when I found this review... Doug you are right on as usual I could have never described the flavors I was tasting, you did it to the tee, I enjoyed this cigar while reading the daily paper and just couldn't puy it down I like this cigar and will look to get some more

Ironman
Old 09-11-2004, 04:13 AM   #9
AA

Every time I read one of your reviews, I start swearing, because it generally means yet another cigar I want to try. And at a pace of one a week or so, I'm already booked solid for years!

Nice work, as usual!
AA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 07:03 AM   #10
flyfishtn
Club Member

I've been away from the board for a while due to work commitments and I return today to find that Doug's reviews are still excellent as always!