Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #11
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

An article that I saw that was better able to explain the remorse we feel for this loss...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/schae...ians-pass-away

Best,
J.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:06 PM   #12
N8DCJ
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohdvm View Post
I am also a Big fan of his books.
I recommend picking up a copy of his Ghost Rider book.
This....^^^

I listened to it on audible driving to/from work...

It is an insight into the man , the narrator/reader is very good too ...

I was super bummed when I heard ...

I grew up in Cleveland area , WMMS pretty much started them on their path to mainstream...

For lack of a better way to say it , Rush is/was a cult band , you either were into them or not ...

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #13
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Sorry, I'm in the "Not" camp. Between Rush, Journey and Foreigner, they were so over played that it turned me off to 70s album oriented rock completely. Only recently have I rediscovered ELO. They were a bit before my time and I dismissed them with the rest.

FWIW, I don't like the Stones for the same reason.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #14
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
An article that I saw that was better able to explain the remorse we feel for this loss...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/schae...ians-pass-away

Best,
J.

This plays directly along with a thing that I learned a lot of years ago. Bear with me it is a bit involved.

The japanese have a safety procedure that helps to solidify routines. It works well in other applications as well.

When they perform a checklist, they will point at the switch or whatever that they have just handled, and speak the words "I just did (insert whatever.)

This processes the information through so damned many different nerve centers and parts of the brain that it is set into memory everywhere. For example, if you set your keys on the bench while you screw around with the 150 pound compressor, do it. Point at the keys and look at it. Say "I left my keys up on my bench beside the mess."

You took in visual information and you heard yourself speak. You have acted on that physically by pointing your fingers as you spoke. All of those actions are put into memory, all linked together, and it's connected through several senses.

With music, we have a primal reaction that is hardwired into the hindbrain and affects numerous ares of the forebrain. A piece of music manipulates your thoughts and feelings. You interact with it in a very deep, subconscious way. You bond with it and it becomes a part of you.

Elvis shook himself all over for decades while girls watched and listened, and they connected so deeply that it ripped a chunk out of their hearts to know that the music had died.

Now, those of us that are grieving for his death are feeling everything that we ever felt for that band, because in all of that time, we fans have attached him completely to the rest of the experience.

You won't see people lining up to cry at the tomb of a boring writer.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:23 AM   #15
vernonator
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
I am not a fan of RUSH - let me start there. Geddy lee - his voice sounds like his balls are in a mouse trap.
But the instrumentals - and the drums most of all - were amazing.
Ahhh the parroting of the mid-70's Rolling Stones review rears its head. If thats how you remember his voice, then you listened to maybe their first 3 albums, and really should expand your listening of them a bit.

Their final studio album - Clockwork Angels was listed in the top 5 rock albums this decade. Give it a listen and you will find that they became much more refined since Working Man and Fly by Night which were the impuetus for the "his voice is weird" reviews.

Last edited by vernonator; 01-17-2020 at 05:55 AM.
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:04 AM   #16
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I think that either grace under pressure or hold your fire might be good places to start, maybe. I can't really remember them well.

So many of their songs had an absolutely visceral effect on me. Time stand still, I have to turn it off because it breaks my heart.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:07 AM   #17
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

We went to see the presto tour while we were in Saint louis. About twenty years ago, I got tickets to see them here when they toured. I sent my wife and daughter to see them. They also went to kansas city for them. Wife has seen them three times, god, I'm so happy that my kid got to see them twice.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:37 PM   #18
N8DCJ
Club Member

I saw them on the Moving Pictures tour at the Richfield Coliseum , I drive by it everyday now , it's a grass field ...

Neil Peart talks about that place in a couple interviews , mainly riding his bicycle in the area...

I saw them again in early 2000's for the R30 concert , twice in 4 days at two different venues... the shows were slightly different.

That show was interesting because it was the first time they ever played someone else's music ...

Cream : Crossroads (yes I know its Robert Johnson. but they did the traditional cover)

The Who : The Seeker (really good)

The Yardbirds : Heart Full if Soul

Even if you are not a fan , watch R30 if you can...

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:53 AM   #19
vernonator
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandg View Post
We went to see the presto tour while we were in Saint louis. About twenty years ago, I got tickets to see them here when they toured. I sent my wife and daughter to see them. They also went to kansas city for them. Wife has seen them three times, god, I'm so happy that my kid got to see them twice.
I was blessed to see them 12 times live starting at age 14 with All the Worlds a Stage in '77 at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago (long since bulldozed). Final was with my then 14yr old son in KC for their R40 farewell tour. They were the ultimate power trio and were/are all masters of their craft.

It says something that for a "Cult" band they are #3 for most consequtive gold/paltinum albums (behind the Beatles and the Stones) and #5 all time for number of gold/platinum albums.

Take a listen to their last album Clockwork Angels - it spans their range - hard, slow, deep, insightful....
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:17 AM   #20
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

One of the stupidest people whom I have ever had the displeasure of working with said something to me once. I had remarked about looking forward to the new album, and he told me that

Quote:
It's amazing that they are only three guys. Three guys are all there are in that band, and look at what they can do. You won't see any other rock bands that run only three people on stage.
He said something really insightful there. Those three people were amazing. I've not really been able to think of any rock bands that lived on only three members, seriously, how could a band do that?

Okay, ZZ top have three. seals and croft have two. Simon and garfunkle had one and a half (garfunkle was the half) But seriously, how many bands besides abba and kiss manage to create a whole experience with four? Or fewer?